Author Topic: The Build of Elway 5 no.3  (Read 64741 times)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: The Build of Elway 5 no.3
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
I'm seeing the benifit of an oversized case/sleave.   If i follow Andy P's method the case has to be integrated into the lower pad. I'm considering letting the oversized sleave into the pad and hull core but not through the outer skin. I will then use foam spacers at the bottom of the case to pack the foil and allow for mods/repairs.

I can also see that an over sized sleave allows the fine tuning of blade alignment to made after the case has been fitted.

The spine and main bulkheads are ready for bonding to the hull.  The deck fits the hull and spine well nearly fits the main bulkheads. I only have a little fine tuning to do to the other bulkheads. Unless I stiffen the whole thing up I will keep sanding everything until the garage is full of carbon and foam dust.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »
latest update.

Saturday-  With a bit more help from Tim  we shaped the top of all the bulkheads so that the deck would sit snuggly on top.  This is a step by step process working from the front and putting torches in front of the bulhead you are working on stick the deck on and look in to the hull from the back. The light shows where the deck isn't touching the bulkheads and also where it isn't touching the gunnels.  removing the high spots on the bulkhead allows the deck to sit on the gunnel and closes the gap between the deck and the bulkhead. On to next bulkhead and then the transom.

We got the mid bulkhead and transom bonded in (Having done the main bulkhead and spine previously). 

Sunday morning came and went.

Sunday afternoon made a mould for the centreboard case sleave and most of a mould for the main trolley cradle.

The main cradle is going to be over width with rounded ends and sides to avoid crunching the hull on a sharp point each time we launch or recover it.  It is really easy for the boat to sit aukwardly on a cradle made for the boat when recovering and this risks the hull sitting on a sharp end of the cradle.

I hope to mould the case this evening and finish the mould for the trolley cradle.

My thoughts for the front cradle revolve around moulding on to the hull but then adding foam to the ends and sides of the cradle to avoid sharp points.  i hope we will be more able to control the bow when recovering.

I am also 35 today.
Mast is also on order.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
Happy Birthday young man.
Glad to hear things are going well.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 02:20:04 PM »
and putting torches in front of the bulhead you are working
A laser is pretty good for this, I used a laser level when I did the Canoe.

Offline peter_barton

• Apprentice Guru
    • www.skifftastic.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 06:01:59 PM »
Phil,
Consider using astro turf to pad the cradle. Doesnt hold water next to the hull and avoids the danger of grit & sand getting in there and scratching.

For the trolley design also consider if you want to lash the boat to the trolley (amidships and bow) and tip the whole lot over together when rigging. That is our preference, like I14s do I think. If you do, try not to make the craddles any higher or the trolley any heavier than necessary. We tie a bag/tool box to the mast tip when we tip over to weigh it down prior to the sails going on.

35? Bloody hell! I thought you were much older than me.

P

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »
35! What is the retirement age for cherubists? ha ha

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 09:01:30 AM »
Well I'm 42. So I hope it's older than that!   :o

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 01:08:08 PM »
Pete,

Well done at the weekend.

trolleys:  I have been thinking about the astroturf on top of some foam rubber. The base will be made to fit our road base and i was planning to keep it simple and go for steel box tubing which I can weld together.

I thought you were older than me (cheeky).   Daryl has kindly made me feel a lot better. know that I know he's older still.

We made the sleave for the case last night and the aft cradle mould is nearly ready.

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 06:23:10 PM »
Don't worry I'll be 38 in march ???

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 01:40:29 AM »
Don't worry, I'll be 19 in march!
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
Have you started potty training yet? ;D

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
That also means I got my first boat (a fireball 10772) in the same month you were born Ross. CRAP now I feel really old!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »
latest update.

We have made the trolley cradles.  I made a mould for the aft one going for an over-width shallow curve to match the hull.  the cradle is wider by about 100mm either side to allow for inaccurate recovery.

the fornt cradle which was moulded over the hull was completed over the weekend to give it some rigidity.

I was going to fit the centreboard case and start looking at fitting rack beams etc but that all got put on hold when a bit of light decorating turned into something a bit bigger.

I ended up re plastering the dining room fire place, taking several trips to the tip and B&Q and we are now re-painting the room before new carpets get fitted next Monday.

Hopefully back to boat building by the weekend.

Offline peter_barton

• Apprentice Guru
    • www.skifftastic.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »
What! Re-decorating the dining room? Surely you aren't going to be stopping to eat before your boat is ready to hit the water?
You should have built it in there rather than that cold garage and then re-decorated it afterwards!

Offline andy_paterson

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »
35! What is the retirement age for cherubists? ha ha

I lasted till 55, but still sailing silly boats ( not cherubs tho').
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:44:57 PM by andy_paterson »