Author Topic: The Build of Elway 5 no.3  (Read 69727 times)

roland_trim

Re: The Build of Elway 5 no.3
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »
You are never older than 55? Must have been a very easy paperround 8)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2009, 01:13:13 PM »
House complete for the moment despite us also dog sitting Sarah's parents red setter puppy.  It wanted to help with the painting which could have been very amusing.  We decided not to let it help with the boat building.

fortunately the temperatures have increased recently and we have made progress alongside the painting indoors.

Over the weekend We fitted the mast stump, filleted all the bulkhead hull connections and covered the fillet joints with a layer of weave.   We also fitted the pad at the base of the centreboard case and covered this with a layer of weave too.  I plan on starting to fit racks etc when I get back from the South Atlantic.  :)  I May miss the dinghy show though  :(.

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »
You should only let old english sheepdogs help with the painting ;)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2009, 01:06:10 PM »
progres to date.

Since returning from the Falklands we have bonded the centreboard case in, made the supports for the fwd racks and shaped the inboard end of the fwd rack beams to fit round the mast stump. Pole has been coated to fill any voids dry bits and sanded so we can make the snout tube over it. 

the deck has been trimmed at the transom and for the mast stump, C/B case and fwd rack supports.

Aft rack supports to go next and then a lot of fiddling around to get everything level.

Also need to make the gantry pivot points on the transom.

After that it is deck on.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »
Phil - would you mind writing up your Falklands trip? I heard you saying thta you're just back from there at the dinghy show but stupidly did not ask you about it!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 01:54:13 PM »
I would rather not publish too much info. on the website.

I can summarise that it was succesfull, we did get Endurance on to MV Target after a small delay waiting for better weather. The ship is now on her way back to the UK.

We did get an afternoon out to visit Stanley and see the penguins and Gypsy Cove.

Stanley is like a medium sized British village, with well kept gardens and a nice waterfront onto port William Sound (similar to Helensburgh).

The roads are mostly gravel tracks but some bits of tarmac appeared everynow and then. Everyone drives land rovers and most stick to the 40 mph speed limits. (Accidents are quite regular).

The landscape is similar to Dartmoor and the weather changes by the hour.  Since we were there in the summer we occasionally got down to shirt sleaves (15 degrees C is a good summer's day).  The wind generally picks up to 25 knots or more in the afternoon .  In the winter you can have Sun, snow and rain all in one morning and roads will be closed in poor weather. 

it's good to be back even if it is a bit cooler here.

roland_trim

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »
progres to date.

After that it is deck on.

Are there any progress pictures. For some reason I'm really keen to see how those bits go together ::)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
Back on topic

On Saturday we glued in the aft rack supports but not the beams.  We also completed most of the filleting and carboning having done the Spoffel the centreboard case and a bit more around the mast stump bulkhead/spine intersection.

Sunday evening i offered the 4 deck beams to the supports and started the fiddling around to allow the racks to sit at the right level.  I did a bit more fiddleing last night.  With a bit more tweaking I think we are nearly there with the position of the deck beams.

The next job is to bond in the aft beams and cut the deck to fit round them.
I haven't got round to the gantry mounts but have the small diameter tube which will form the bearings for the gantry pivots and rudder pin gudgeons.

Yippee!

Holiday next week  so Sarah and I will be cannal boating.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 02:03:31 PM »
there are some photos on sarah's camera.  We are following Andy P's photos of the previous build.

I will try and load some up tonight.

Offline peter_barton

• Apprentice Guru
    • www.skifftastic.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2009, 11:37:32 AM »

We did get an afternoon out to visit Stanley and see the penguins and Gypsy Cove.

Stanley is like a medium sized British village, with well kept gardens and a nice waterfront onto port William Sound (similar to Helensburgh).

The landscape is similar to Dartmoor and the weather changes by the hour.  Since we were there in the summer we occasionally got down to shirt sleaves (15 degrees C is a good summer's day).  The wind generally picks up to 25 knots or more in the afternoon . 

A good venue for a UK Cherub Winter Champs? Maybe British Government / Services might sponsor transport?! Would be a more interesting alternative to the Bloody Mary!

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »
I assume building will come to a halt very soon for at least one weekend.
Hope you both have a very nice weekend.
Best wishes and stuff from Lara and I.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2009, 05:01:55 PM »
Thanks for the accommodation over the weekend Dave and Lara.

great progress over the last two days.

Snout tube made
1 tiller extension made

Gantry fittings made and bonded/carboned into transom.
Uni hoops lamminated over fwd rack beams.

Aft beams to go on next followed by the ends of the ears and the tie beams under the forward racks

Then (and I can't believe it) we will be at deck on time.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
Another productive weekend!

Won 1 Enterprise open on Saturday.
Made second Cherub tiller extension (160 grams and a bit heavy I know)
Bonded aft rack beams on
made and bonded end stops for jib track on.

fwd beam tie bars and ears to go.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2009, 12:46:15 PM »
Aim this weekend is to put the deck on.

I am considering building a foam carbon Shute with quite fat radius.   The opening would angle about 45 degrees back from the horizontal and the start of the opening would be about 45cm back from the forestay.

The aim is to taper the lines of the shute into the deck edge and remove any snags.  When we changed Slippery's shute the absense of sharp corners and tight radiuses improved drops enormously.

I notice the RS's all have the shute in front of the forestay but i think the 9ers don't.

Thoughts Please?

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2009, 02:06:08 PM »
The pictures show the Mark 1 and Mark 2 versions of the chute on Primal, Mark 1 was rubish, unless you had a perfect drop the patch would jamb in the corner and if you went shrimping it was pretty much game over. The mark 2 was a big improvement with large radius's everywhere a good drop was eisier and the kite would pull up over the side full of shrimp.

at one point I came very close to getting a 49er chute molding to put on the boat but at £120 for a bit of fiberglass I decided to use a bike inner tube

Mark 1

Mark 2
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale