Author Topic: The Build of Elway 5 no.3  (Read 68610 times)

roland_trim

Re: The Build of Elway 5 no.3
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2009, 02:20:27 PM »
Phil,
Did the Halyard ever thry to burn into that one? We have had several scar lines from ugly drops. In the trifle we had to cover our hoop with a bit of metal.
R

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2009, 01:26:34 AM »
Phil,
Did the Halyard ever thry to burn into that one? We have had several scar lines from ugly drops. In the trifle we had to cover our hoop with a bit of metal.
R
There were some scars but none too deep, I had quite a few layers of glass on the bottom for protection
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »
We had a few shallow scars on our shute too but had about 4 layers of glass (more abraision resistant than carbon) in the areas which were going to see the greatest wear.

In line with this week's plan we got the deck glued on this morning.

Finished all the internal fettling Staurday evening.

The picture shows our progress

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
Now that I have worked out how to attach photos here are a couple from a few days ago.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »
I am considering building a foam carbon Shute with quite fat radius. 
*real* chutes, with reverse curve running into a tube are real [several expletives deleted] [more expletives deleted] to make. I did one for Halo when new and vowed never again... Subsequent iterations were all carved and sanded foam blocks running under the foredeck.  Much easier. Kevlar in the layup helps enormously with the cut through problem: suitable offcuts available for collection at Epsom if you arrive with your own new scissors if you have no easier source.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »
In line with this week's plan we got the deck glued on this morning.

Congratulations! That looks very very like a boat!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2009, 09:18:53 AM »
Another good weekend's work.

We covered the faired hull deck join with 2 layers of weave which takes longer in preperation time and application than you think.

I also made the sleave for the rudder stock (1 layer of weave, one layer of biax) over the rudder blade which we have faired. In the process of clamping some peices of thin plywood around the layed up sleave, to consolidate it, the whole contraption fell from the work mate.  I tried to catch it but the trailing edge gave me a deep cut in a finger.  It's quite sharp! 
The sleave came off the rudder blade quite easily.

This is going to be a light rudder stock!

It looks like we can get the next bits on quite quickly.

roland_trim

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »
Carbon curts always take longer to heal than you might expect. Take care with them.

Congratulations on the build progress - we dream of getting to the point where 6 becomes 1.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »
Thanks Roland,

It seams to be heeling and looks quite clean.  Haven't died yet. Anyway there are much worse ailments to worry about at present so I'm not too bothered.

We are hoping to get the snout tube on and the fwd beams on tonight.

I cut the hole in the bottom of the hull last night for the C/board.  The HD foam pad has bonded well to the outer hull skin and the area looks solid. I'm going to put a couple of layers of weave around the inside of the HD foam pad with uni reinforcement at front and back. I'm going to do the same for the top pad as well.

I will be running out of bits to make soon and have to do the fairing.   

How is your build going?

roland_trim

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »
Slow. Cut the mast step in last night. Have developed an irrational fear of cutting the transom to length. Have decided to leave this till the Weston open and borrow the class measuring sticks and ensure I get this right. Am verging on not fitting a case until the deck is bonderd together (and I have a CB to make it to).

The list for the next 2 weeks therefore is reduced to - Fit stump, fillet BH's , Carbon stump in, Fit wing tenstion struts, shape front wing bars, make a mast, make a prod , make a CB, Rudder, foil and stock.

Basically we are having an easy week or two  ::)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »
That sounds like a good deal of work to me.

Having made a lot of components in the autumn we are quickly bonding things together.  Last night we bonded in the fwd beams, the snout tube and the pad for the top of the C/B case.
We made good use of rachet straps to ensure that everything is fitted tightly.

I didn't fit the struts for the fwd beams until I was happy with the angle of the fwd beams and was able to use them to line the struts up.

I need to:Trim beams to length and shape ends to take the rack tubes, fit fairings for the beams and then cover with final layer of carbon.
make Shute!

I want to get the rudder stock bogged to gether and set up the gantry. That puts me in a position to get all the stainless bits made accurately at the same time.

Lots of fairing to do if we get bored.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2009, 10:17:36 PM »
Ok so after sailing at Penarth today in the ent.  (We got one race in good waves and just in control which gave us a 3rd) we did a bit more on the boat.

We carefully measured the beams and cut where the racks needed to fit. We then sanded the curved shape of the rack tube into the end of the beam ( by holding sand paper around the tube and sanding a lot).  It gives a good tight fit.

We then taped the rack tubes onto the beams for another measure.

The second photo shows the finished result.

The first photo was showing a good use of rachet straps to make sure that the fwd beams were bonded in nice and tight and the pad for the top of the C/B case was on well.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »
First photo reffered to above

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2009, 12:56:30 AM »
That is excellent progress, what were the square beams made on?
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »
Good work! I really like those beams - you'll be able to get the jib track lower than us which is neater all round.