Linked Events

• 2010 Cherub Nationals: August 25, 2010 - August 28, 2010

Author Topic: Nationals dates  (Read 33996 times)

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Nationals dates
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:46:21 PM »
Strawb. Inc. would like to apologise for the late running of this service...

The UK Cherub National Champions 2010 will be held at Largo Bay SC from Wednesday 25th - Saturday 28th August.

Previous form has been to drive up early to race at the Largs Regatta and Round Cumbraes the weekend before hand, then drive East on the Monday.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:54:12 PM by admin »

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
Re: Nationals dates
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:05:21 PM »
sounds awesome
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

roland_trim

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:55:17 AM »
Great news, have booked it in the diary.
For those who have not been to Largo - my last visit was for under a 2 days in 1996. Both days sailing are still clearly imprinted behind my eyelids...

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 08:34:29 AM »
+1.

Largo 2006 was the nationals of nationals. It is a long way to go but it is so worth it.

Let me paint you a picture. You keep the boats on the sandy south facing beach which the clubhouse backs on to. There is plenty of rigging space. The sailing area is right off the beach so the racing can be watched from the shore.  The water is fairly flat and the wind uninterrupted. There is little tidal stream. Edinburgh can be seen across the water, and the hills of Fyfe (sp) are behind. Off the water, many members live very nearby and gardens are available for camping. There are two pubs and we are asked to spread ourselves about a bit to avoid any bad feeling, but that's ok because they are across the road from each other. Evening entertainments included a ceildh (scottish dancing) and a visit from the Provost (mayor). The locals were very welcoming, especially to Stu Tinner, and we all went away thinking that this was the perfect nationals - and we want one just like that again please!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:07:47 AM »
also... for the food fans out there. Last time they put on a finger buffet which was immense, then at the end of the week they stepped it up a notch and laid on a fork buffet. Many of us were unsure of what to expect but I can tell you that Hobbo (Stu's crew at the time) at his own body weight in sliced ham!

Oh... and also in the pubs they have Irn Bru on tap. Being able to order Vodka Irn Bru without being shouted at the pub is a wonderful experience.

We did some sailing too which was brilliant, wonderfully captured here... sailing well high above the mark to help the photographer take this excellent multi calendar featuring photo.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »
Hoping that you would be able to pull this one off. From all that I have heard it was an excellent event.  I am very much looking forward to it. :)

If the dates agree well with the ent nationals we might be able to do both events next year.  The Ents are across the forth at North Berwick. A better attempt than this year when I failed to do either.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 07:53:39 PM »
I was at a meeting in the centre of Edinburgh today. On the way there, I paused next to the George IV statue. It's an amazing spot. Princes Street, Edinburgh Castle and the Scott Monument were behind me, and the grand architecture of George Street stretched out on either side. But looking north down Hanover Street there was a fantastic view out over Edinburgh, past the Leith docks and out to the sparkling blue water of the Forth Estuary. Clearly visible in the autumn sunshine, about 10 miles away in the distance, was the Fife coast, Largo Bay and the hills beyond. It's going to be a long 9-month wait!

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »
Booked my annual leave today.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:56:05 PM »
Accom already booked!

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
Leave booked , accom booked , boat ???

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »
I've got too many boats but am sure I will be able to pick a favourite by then.

Anyone fancy meeting up on the way for some mountain biking between in the hills?!

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »
Point of clarification please ....

The general concencus is to do Largs Regatta and Round Cumbraes prior to the nationals, are these on Sat 21 and Sun 22 August ?

Have I got that right, will there be a few boats on the Largs weekend ?

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:14:50 PM »
I am planning on doing the Largs regatta, then heading across to Largo I have taken the full week off so should be fun.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 08:06:43 PM »
we have the same plan
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »
we have the whole week off and plan to travel up on the friday before to largs , then on to Largo probably on Monday. Can't Wait :D