Author Topic: The Build of Elway 5 no.3  (Read 68475 times)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: The Build of Elway 5 no.3
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
I collected the shells gantry and rack tubes from Andy Patterson on Turesday.  Whilst on the top of my car they have been on the ferry 2 defence establishments and Frampton sailing club before getting home.

The road trip also caused extra excitment when the exhaust fell off the car and I had to lash it in place before visiting the local 'quick fit'.

The bits fit in the garage above the ent. Just!

i'm glad we've made some of the bits ahead of getting the shells because space has become more of a premium now.

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »
All those bits of carbon tube and you had trouble with the exhaust!

Offline tim_unerman

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 06:58:50 PM »
Latest spy photos

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 10:34:29 PM »
Hey stop cheating with that wide angle lens.... it's never that thin!!!  :o

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 01:47:47 PM »
thanks to tim we got the transom trimmed to length and the bulkheads and spine in the correct location on Saturday.  i spent sunday afternoon trimming the bulkheads to fit the hull and gluing the two parts of the spine together.  More fetteling required to get the main bulkheads to fit the hull and the top of all bulkheads the right shape to take the deck.

Over christmass we have made both the fore and aft deck beams (that fit between the hull and the racks),  the stays below the forward deck beams that oppose the rig loads, and a t-foil blade.

Things are going well and it's starting to come together.

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »
Good work Phil, glad to see shes coming together. If you need a hand with anything give me a call although things are a bit awkward at the moment what with the little one being in hospital. Hope that my dad didnt put you off on Sunday !

Any ideas about a colour scheme yet or is Sarah keeping it hush hush ?

Also what rig choice have you made, and will it be ready by the Regatta at the end of May ?

Paul

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
Thanks Paul,

It was quite relaxed sailing with your dad and his chums.  We had a bit of competition on the foredeck what with me used to doing the lot and not too much to do in the lighter conditions.

It looks like things will be warming up a bit soon so we will be able to do some bonding in the garage and get those bulkheads in. I'm determined to get a close fit and avoid using lots of bog and addding weight.
I hope Izzy is a bit better now.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 10:09:02 PM »
OK guys
I need to make the centreboard case. I'm currently thinking of HD foam pad on the inside bottom of the hull and a carbon sleave going through the pad between the hull and deck.  After our experience of grounding at Chew last year I think it is worth making the front and back of the case a few layers thicker. It's easier to repair a board than the case so the board becomes the weaker link. I intend to make the sleave with some play to allow for some repairs and pack it top and bottom to reduce play.

Your experience and views are welcome.

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »
Will and I cut the DB case in Antidote. By the looks of it, Andy.P built a box inside the boat with a wedge of high density foam (pretty heavy stuff!) stuck on to the deck. The bottom wasn't reinforced IIRC.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 11:29:21 PM »
The method used by Andy P is fairly standard, with the foam wedge being the sacrificial part, although the board usually ends up with some damage too but doesnt normally snap off and nor do you cut a slot in the bottom of the boat.

If you make the case to heavy you run the risk of snapping the board if you ground at speed so best to have a bit of give if you can.

I think I'd tend towards the Andy P method, and if you have any wear shove the board in with a bit of parcel tape (a couple of layers) around the Trailing edge and fill with Sikaflex.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 07:24:40 AM »
There is a bit of HD foam set in flush to the hull too, so the bottom is reinforced.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »
Ok so pad top and bottom box and sleave made over the foil with foam wedges around the trailing edge to absorb grounding loads and save the hull.
A bit more complex than I imagined but that's why I asked the question.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
Phil, is the plan to make the sides of the case foam sandwhich or just one layer of weave?

I think when I replace mine I'm going to use foam sandwhich.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 03:49:50 PM »
I think it is quite difficult to get a good fit around the leading edge with foam, it potentially adds quite a bit of extra weight.

Foam sections is a good idea, and making sure that everything is bonded neatly so there is not sly path for water.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline gav_sims

• Former_Member
  • Newb
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »
The first case on mango was a tight fit around the board and made from 3mm 75kg-ish Herex with 1 layerof 200g carbon inside and out and a layer of 180g glass on the inside also.  There was no reinforcement (core or skin)of the hull.  From previous experience the joint between the case and the outside skin was prone to failure so I managed to laminate several layers of light glass from the bottom skin into the case.

I replaced the case after 3 seasons for several reasons
The second case was oversize and made of 5 layers of 200 carbon with flanges to the hull and deck inside.  1" deep spacers top and bottom were top and glued in place to keep the board in position.  These were from 100kgfoam with some light glass around them.  This setup allowed me to move the board for/aft ( a small amount) or adjust the rake of the board by simply replacing the foam spacers.  I could've also use a different shaped board by just replacing the spacers.