Author Topic: Strangely Brown  (Read 21740 times)

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Strangely Brown
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 06:18:41 PM »
*insert pun about dogs off chains here*

In all seriousness do I need to send you a gopro?
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 09:34:44 PM »
I can assure you that the previous owners used this boat properly so it is tried and tested kit. It will break you before you break it!

Offline Simon T

• Probationary
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 09:59:19 PM »
The shrouds shouldn't come out of the spreaders Mike, that would suggest you need more rig tension? The main shrouds should be like piano wires when tensioned properly. If your struggling to get the tension on the main shrouds, those dyneema d2s may be set a little too tight. They are only a tuning aid the rig doesn't need them massively. It does however need the shrouds in the spreaders! There is wood under that kite retrieval block so should be easy to fix. If the kite won't hoist or drop it is best not to force the issue through the fittings and sort the jam out another way. If i remember rightly the retriever needs a big loop in the bowline going through the top kite patch to stop it bunching up and to shorten the retriever so it can't go under the bow.

Good to hear you got her out today! Would have been fun i'm sure she loves 20 kts and flat water

Offline HighwaytoHelm

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
Thanks for the offer Jamie, I want to find my feet a little bit before putting on my action cam!

Simon with the kite I got it in slightly the wrong order, so the pole didn't come out. Definitely more rig tension, we got on as much as we could, but it obviously needs more! Hoping to get out again at the weekend, maybe both days! ;D

P.s. I'm still grinning from ear to ear!!!

Offline HighwaytoHelm

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
Couple of really basic questions,

What should the forestay and shroud tension read on a loos gauge?

my smaller mainsail doesn't have a cap at the top to keep the sail up, do I source another one bearing in mind the sail doesn't reach the top of the mast? or is there another way to keep the sail up?

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 08:23:50 AM »
On my previous boats I have normally run 34 on the shrouds from memory. How do you get the tension on? Is it the classic lightweight welsh method of having 2 eyes in the ends of your wire, a piece of dyneema, and then just pulling it on till the eyes meet? When you achieve that, then you have got the tension right!

Under normal, powered up circumstances, I would suggest that a LOT of tension is the way to go. Maybe ease it off a bit when it is really light. All the hulls and rigs are different, so there is no such thing as 'normal'.

Offline Clive Everest

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »
On A+E we run 130kg on the forestay.
Class Committee

roland_trim

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 10:19:02 AM »
Couple of really basic questions,

What should the forestay and shroud tension read on a loos gauge?

my smaller mainsail doesn't have a cap at the top to keep the sail up, do I source another one bearing in mind the sail doesn't reach the top of the mast? or is there another way to keep the sail up?

Depending on the guage - between 30 and 36. Should make a noise like a double bass when twanged.

All BGM's boats have a loop of dyneema ove the mast top. This hooks in and a main sliding down is about the only failure I have not suffered

Offline HighwaytoHelm

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 01:39:25 PM »
At the moment there is a strop in the top of the jib, IIRC it's a 6:1 and Simon told me to just pull on as much as possible. The big main has a sort of cap made out of webbing. But sailing with the big one we were really overpowered sailing single wire. We're planning to sail the boat single wire for the time being so the smaller sail would be preferable

roland_trim

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 06:29:05 PM »
On BS we have a similar strop. Two main points:
1) Make sure there is no "dead end" ie make the loops of rope off against each other. Otherwise the tied end has no tension in it and the rig goes floppy fairly quickly.

2) Use a handle/bit of wood/hammer  to  wrap the rope around and allow you to get real tension on the rope

Offline Simon T

• Probationary
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 06:03:42 PM »
There is an eye to tie off the smaller mainsail that pokes out of the front of the mast where the extension for the bigger mainsail begins you just need some rope! The smaller mainsail is still really powerful though if its decent breeze, it is cut quite full and we used to twin wire with that smaller mainsail no problem at all! Sadly at 25 years old it is pretty delicate these days hence the much better condition newer mainsail. The advice you have been given on rig tension for the shrouds sounds about right to me, you certainly shouldn't sail it with any less than 200kgs of tension on the shrouds. We never had a Loos guage at the time we just used to pull on as much as we could. As Roland has said using some kind of steel bar to wrap the rope around certainly helps with leverage to pull it through as both of you can get a hold on it.  :)

Offline HighwaytoHelm

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »
Awesome, thanks simon, now you've mentioned it I remember seeing that loop. I'll male sure to try to put more rig tension on.

Offline HighwaytoHelm

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
Went for a second sail yesterday 15 knots and rather gusty. Wednesday club racing was interesting, they managed to set a course which meant we could only use the kite in one leg. 

Things we learnt:
1. We had more rig tension but still not enough I think.
2. The boat needs a kite sock (I have one just haven't fitted it)
3. I am slow at getting on the wire and if I rush have a habit of missing the ring.
4. With the kite up the boat becomes a rocket ship.

Upwind we found we were really struggling to point compared to the other boats. Is there anything that would be causing this?

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 09:34:50 AM »
No need to rush on to the wire. Just get through a tack and only sheet in when your ready.
What are you trying to point as high as?
Cherubs are only 12' and are best sailed for speed rather than pointing.
The rig tension will help though, saggy isn't a good look.

Offline HighwaytoHelm

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 09:45:27 AM »
I haven't trapezed on a monohull that much. So I think it will come with practice. We were as fast as a 4k but pointing ten degrees lower.