Author Topic: Sticky weekend 2013  (Read 11883 times)

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
Sticky weekend 2013
« on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:48 PM »
We are planning to hold the sticky weekend on the 31st of November and 1st of December. For anyone who hasn't attended before, it's a great opportunity to gain the knowledge and skills required for repairing and building boats, foils and spars etc.. Anyone planning on bringing projects / boats please post details so I can prepare.

Saturday evening social /meal will be in the local curry house

Accommodation, if you are feeling brave and have a good sleeping bag you are welcome to stay in the workshop or the local Travelodge is only about a mile away. There are also loads of local B&B's

The workshop address is - Unit B1, Oldmixon Crescent, Weston-s-Mare, North Somerset. BS24 9AY.

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Sticky weekend 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
Paul,

We would like to attend our very first SW.  I'd like to do 3 things, 2 quite short and one a bit cheeky:

1.  Convert our twist grip tillers to fixed.  Quite simple is to wrap some carbon around the slot a bit more tricky is drilling the new hole in the right place for which you ideally need a long drill bit to line up the holes through the gantry.  A bit I don't have.

2. To fix a couple of small chips in the hull but more importantly a small crack in the outer skin

Following that if possible I would like to respray the hull as Rolands garage job was good but it is 5 seasons old now.  If the hull was rubbed down and prepped prior to the SW would this be possible?

Andy
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:44:15 PM by andy_peters »

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:15:53 AM »
Yes no problem, we can work out a plan of attack at the inlands

Paul,

We would like to attend our very first SW.  I'd like to do 3 things, 2 quite short and one a bit cheeky:

1.  Convert our twist grip tillers to fixed.  Quite simple is to wrap some carbon around the slot a bit more tricky is drilling the new hole in the right place for which you ideally need a long drill bit to line up the holes through the gantry.  A bit I don't have.

2. To fix a couple of small chips in the hull but more importantly a small crack in the outer skin

Following that if possible I would like to respray the hull as Rolands garage job was good but it is 5 seasons old now.  If the hull was rubbed down and prepped prior to the SW would this be possible?

Andy

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
For item 2 do your current gantry pivot bolts just go straight through the carbon plate of the gantry or have you bonded in short lengths of carbon tube. These can be drilled seperately and aligned with an 8mm sraight rod when they are bonded in.  Simples!

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »
Just a question Paul, Would it be possible to spray two boats at a sticky weekend? If not I'll hand varnish the woodie.

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:18 PM »
Thanks for hosting us again Paul.

If I can get the mould from Roland(?) I would like to make the first of two T-foils of the Ellway kind.

Midlands area now has vacuum pumps but could do with being guided through our first baby steps.

I think Sam and I will be up for staying in the workshop on Saturday night
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:19:28 PM »
The lacquer used on cars is like the paint and will cure hard enough to transport after a night in our  heated spray booth but I don't think it is flexible enough for wood (I have used it on carbon masts in the past but it flaked off after a few months). The internal lacquers we use all the time are very quick drying but are not uv stable. I had used international paints two part varnish on masts, wood and Marmite with good results but it takes about 3 days to harden. We can give it a go but will need to find a way of holding it to the trailer without putting pressure on a newly varnished areas, or pro grip over them.

Just a question Paul, Would it be possible to spray two boats at a sticky weekend? If not I'll hand varnish the woodie.

roland_trim

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »
Two T-foils of the Ellway kind.

Need to be clear about which foil types:

- An update on our tooling will be available when I get some time to find out what has happened. Effectively there are some male plugs in production and it may be that we make some more molds from these for you to take away on the sticky weekend.

- Then there is what comes from Ben's machine.

- As a third option there is an additional possibility of the Ellway foil molds becoming available, but this is contingent on fixing a price and a talk with Kevin about royalties!

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
Thanks R...will be guided by you on what's best.

Finalising plans at a Midlands pow wow tomorrow but either way we start with standard T-foils to make first generation foils for Loco.

Ben's rig looks very promising.
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »
While I am excited about my "rig". It is nowhere near ready and I am about to run into a lack of weekends to finish it in the near future. When it is up and going I will post an update but until then I wouldn't hedge any bets on it.
2688- Atum Bom

Offline Clive Everest

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
I am looking at making foils by 3D printing a blank and then laminating over it.

The blank need not be solid. It can be cellular or hex honeycomb.
Its density can vary across the cord and span.

When making masts etc on a male mandrel the laminate wall thickness is consistent and predictable.

I do not see any significant loss of accuracy associated with making it on a male blank rather than in female tooling.
It should be a lot quicker to laminate and solves the problem of joining 2 parts.

Clive

Class Committee

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »

I am looking at making foils by 3D printing a blank and then laminating over it.

The blank need not be solid. It can be cellular or hex honeycomb.
Its density can vary across the cord and span.

When making masts etc on a male mandrel the laminate wall thickness is consistent and predictable.

I do not see any significant loss of accuracy associated with making it on a male blank rather than in female tooling.
It should be a lot quicker to laminate and solves the problem of joining 2 parts.

Clive

Plywood core for my next foil

roland_trim

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »

The crucial bit I struggle with is where the lifting foil meets the steering foil. For me this is the only driver behind female tooling. There is just as much finishing and fairing needed in both processes.

Female tooling for blades is a right royal PITA. More experimentation is needed to approach anything like as light/strong/stiff as a core.

The blank need not be solid. It can be cellular or hex honeycomb. Its density can vary across the cord and span.
We looked at patenting this process a few years back. The worldwide rights are held by an American chap who put his marker on it in the mid 90's!

Offline Clive Everest

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
Do you have details of the Patent?

As I understand it most patents don't apply to non commercial use.
I can use a patented idea on my boat but cannot sell it to anyone.
Class Committee

roland_trim

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »
As I understand it most patents don't apply to non commercial use.
I can use a patented idea on my boat but cannot sell it to anyone.

Exactly. Home use is never a problem :-)