Author Topic: Sticky weekend 2013  (Read 12418 times)

Offline ade white

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
  • no work team
Re: Sticky weekend 2013
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »
my experience of patents, especially with our kind of dinghy sailing, is forget it!  it aint worth the paper its written on. 'The only way to loose a small fortune is to start off with a big one!
'Sponsor' of "DUCKS"

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 10:23:48 AM »
Paul we may now bring Eleanor as we believe we have a small leak in the bow area which could do with being looked at.

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »

Plywood core for my next foil

Paul, I am vv interested in the plywood core idea.

At the sticky weekend I would like to make one and laminate it with the help of Tom and Ade after the Sticky.

Also, since there don't appear to be any spare main foils knocking around to purchase, I am looking at the class female moulds that Roland is bringing to the Inlands to see if there is one suitable to make a foil. This would then either become the new foil (with a lifting foil) or the foil that keeps Loco sailing through the foil assist/low flying development.

If it is possible to make the foil at the Sticky that would be good.
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline stom

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
Paul, any chance there will be room for us to bring Norfolk down to the sticky weekend?  I'd like to try and fit the mast stump if possible..

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:47 PM »
Paul, any chance there will be room for us to bring Norfolk down to the sticky weekend?  I'd like to try and fit the mast stump if possible..

Yes no problem, spoken to Roland who knows more about Norfolk's background. Make sure you bring the mast so we can look at all options.

Offline stom

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »

Yes no problem, spoken to Roland who knows more about Norfolk's background. Make sure you bring the mast so we can look at all options.

Thanks!  I'm quite intrigued by Rolands idea of extending the mast foot in the "deck stepped mast" thread.  It could be a way to keep Norfolks hull closer to its original design intent.

Offline Andrew Whapshott

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
Thanks for hosting again Paul;

I am quite keen to have a go at making some glass tiller extensions

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »
Ok, you will need some shink wrap tape, have you got any?
A lot cherubers are using carp landing net poles. Marmines cost £21 and are 1 1/2 years old and still going strong!

Thanks for hosting again Paul;

I am quite keen to have a go at making some glass tiller extensions

Offline Andrew Whapshott

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 11:26:57 PM »
I haven't but I'll see what I can find, Its just an idea to give me something to think about, I'm more coming for a break and to be nosy :-)

(And just incase I break one..)

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »
Hi Paul,

yhm

I've sent you an outline of what I would like to achieve at the sticky if I can get to it. Keeping it quite low key due to current circumstances,

Nigel
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »
Andy, Atums are similarly carp landing poles and cost £4 each. I bought plenty so I had spares, which turns out to be good as I have broken a few. At that price, I suppose I can't expect it to hold my weight. Unfortunately most landing poles are 6ft so might be too small for your 9er.
2688- Atum Bom

roland_trim

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »
Andy, Have you thought of joining two carp poles?

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
Glass tubes may end up being a bit flexible over that length.  Joining tubes is quite easy. You just need to sleave two sections with some plastic tube of the right diameter and lay weave uni and weave layers over the join.   To do this in one hit the two sections need to be supported in a straight line with space to work around the join.  I use Will Lee's idea of taping the sections to a ladder with the join between two rungs.
This is what i have done for my tiller extension repairs.  i have now learnt how to make them stronger so hopefully wont have to do so many repairs. 

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 11:23:56 PM »
Permission to attend!?
I have plans on making a tacking GPS bracket, would like some 2nd opinions, or if im really lucky to start it there.

Either way, keen to attend, happy to help.

Thanks
Jamie
Thanks
Jamie

roland_trim

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 08:37:11 AM »
Weekend is an open house. Good to know numbers though, so thanks for the warning.

Paul kindly donates the use of his workshop, the only request is that those who attend are at least Associate members (You can join on the day for £10, £20 for a full student, £30 for a full membership).

Logistics:
We can pick people up from Weston Super Mare (all day) or Bristol/Bath stations (morning/evening only).
There is free beds/floor space at Team Trim's, although currently the house has no internal doors! This is a drive from Paul's with car sharing, BS31 for your sat nav! Please PM me to attempt to book a bed/airbed/space.
Alternatively there is a Premier Inn near WSM.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:39:39 AM by Born Slippy »