Author Topic: Looking for a boat  (Read 20046 times)

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
Looking for a boat
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:04:25 PM »
Hi,

I am new here and am thinking of getting into cherubs, and was just wondering if anyone new of any 2005 rules boats for sale at the moment,

Thanks,

Max

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Looking for a boat
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »
I think there is one in France - Natural Born Skiffeurs. Its a good boat and it would be v good to see it out sailing again.

Have a look at the second hand boat list:

http://www.uk-cherub.org/doku.php/secondhand

I see Cheese Before Bedtime (Scientifically proven to be the worlds best first cherub is also for sale. Older hull shape than the French boat but cheaper.

Good luck - and keep your eye on this forum - there are some events going on and if you rock up you'll probably get a ride with someone if it is not ballistic.

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:16:21 PM »
Hi Will,

That is a real help, but unfortunately both of those are out of our budget.

Thanks again,

Max

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:23:16 PM »
Hi Max...'97 rules boats are awesome too and incredible bang for bucks. Lively racing scene with growing interest within the overall fleet
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »
Hi torchy,

I am guessing you sail at Bartley? (I have seen Loco Perro sailing there) As I am the person with the skol moth there. We also have the old penny 14, which is our first twin trap boat. Anyway, I am thinking of getting into cherubs, as we are too light for the fourteen, and twin trapezing/trapezing whilst helming is just great fun.

Let me know if you've heard of anything else for sale,

Thanks,

Max
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 02:10:01 PM by Max McCarthy »

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
Hi Max, yes we chatted about sourcing a newer sail for the Skol...any joy?

You bought the 14 - awesome! That seemed like a well sorted boat but yes, Cherubs suit lower crew weights and the Rushtons in Atum Bom are currently showing that higher crew weights can be competitive too.

When you next see me come for a chat (bringing Loco back to Bartley today)...next sailing for us is Sat 22nd @ Rutland trying out various kites with Ade White (Sweet Dreamzz). If you're interested we can travel down together and we'll get you out in something (more room there than at Bartley)...contact me via forum or [email protected]

Cherubs are more fun than anything else I've sailed, though the old Skol Moth was a close 2nd.

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »
Hi Torchy (sorry I am unsure of your name),

I am afraid I didn't manage to find a new skol moth sail, but I have been thinking about selling up the moth to get either a ToY http://www.noblemarine.co.uk/boats/dinghy/Toy/ or this moth http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=269391 and then, in the meantime saving up for a cherub of some kind, maybe even cherub 2654.

Yeah, the 14 is great fun, but we can hardly go out in it in anything much more then a force 2 realistically.

I will send you an email,

Thank you,

Max

Offline MK

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
Cheese before bedtime is clearly the boat for you

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »
I would love it, it has to be said, however, the cost is the only issue I am afraid,

Thanks anyway!

Max

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »
2654 is a Trifle going for £500...blimey! How are Trifles regarded for pace nowadays guys?

If you can't afford Cheese as long as 'Norfolk in Chance' is sound (at the end of the day it is carbon and therefore repairable...you should see what these guys do) and the sails are OK you can't go wrong.

We will race '97 rules at Bartley, so we'd be about the same speed.

One more and we have a fleet!...no pressure mind  ;)

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 08:09:18 PM »
The only thing I don't really understand about 2654 is that I have seen a picture of her sailing with twin traps, does this mean she was a 2005 rules boat, but is now converted to '97 rules? Or is it more likely that they just sailed with twin trapezes anyway?

Thanks again,

Max

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »
Natural Born Skiffeurs is for sale on this French sailing website for rather less than is being asked on the UK Cherub website if anybody's interested. 4900 vs 6000 Euros.

www.wanaboat.fr/models/22-cherub
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:29:10 PM by Neil C. »

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »
The only thing I don't really understand about 2654 is that I have seen a picture of her sailing with twin traps, does this mean she was a 2005 rules boat, but is now converted to '97 rules? Or is it more likely that they just sailed with twin trapezes anyway?

Some '97 Rules boats were converted to twin wires, usually using the same ('97 Rules) sails. The tendency is to convert them back but there's nothing to stop you leaving the wires on and twin wiring when you are just blasting in the heavy stuff.

If you don't use both wires and if your boat has 12.5 sqm upwind and 15sqm kite you are '97 Rules.

Both '97 and '05 hulls measure to the same rules.

Cherubs need the wire later than you'll be used to in the 14, also they are a 12' boat and it shows upwind in lighter winds but they are lightning quick downwind as soon as they plane. That's part of the reason that (if we race regularly at Bartley) we'll sail '97 Rules (PY 975) rather than '05 (PY 930/40) - it should keep us from the clutches of the RS400s upwind in pursuit races. Starting together with them upwind would kill us.

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
Okay, thanks, a 97 rules boat sounds pretty good then especially on pursuit races, considering there are lots of 400's at Barltey.

Also, do you intend (when using a '97 rules rig) to use only the single trapeze then?

And what would you actually need to change to make '97 rules boat into a 2005 rules boat?

Thanks for your help,

Max