Author Topic: Looking for a boat  (Read 19619 times)

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
Re: Looking for a boat
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
The flying trifle was a desiin from the early 90's see the page: http://www.uk-cherub.org/doku.php/history/1990s_designs for some more info about designs from that time.

The key difference from modern designs was that there was a rise of floor measurement quite far forward, this made the boats quite fat in the bow compared to more modern designs. In 97 there was a rule change which changed this requirement and lead to much skinnier hulls. The other big change in 97 was an increase in sail area, and maximum width. 2654 was modified to upgrade it to take advantage of the 97 rules by adding a snout to give a larger jib, and also wings were added to take it out to maximum width.

In terms of hull design it won't be competitive with the modern boats, however now when compared against the other fat bow boats the hull design won't make as much differeence as the systems effectiveness, and the foils, rig and sails condition.
The flying trifle has a reputation for being very fast and fun downwind, and will teach you alot about getting speed, and stopping the bow from going down.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »
Thanks all, for the info, that is good news, it sounds a lot of fun!

Thanks again,

Max

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
OK, here's my version of the history of the Flying Trifle. :)
It all started with John Lobb and Martin Harrison, a pair of Cherub sailors at Royal Vic YC on the Isle of Wight in the 1980's. John did a few seasons in Moths, and when he came back to Cherubs in the early '90's he found them too "controllable" by comparison. At the legendary '91 Nationals at Royal Torbay YC John and Martin got chatting to another Cherub sailor called Christian Stimpson who was also a professional yacht designer. They asked Chris to design them a boat with the philosophy that a lot of speed could be extracted from the new design at the expense of control. They also wanted it optimised for wind conditions at the upper end of the range. 
Later that evening there was a Civic Reception by the Mayor of Torquay to welcome the Cherub fleet. This happened to coincide with a huge food fight which had broken out, fuelled by the wine in half-pint glasses which the yacht club were serving up. In the middle of all this Chris Stimpson got hit in the face by a large lump of Flying Trifle, hence the new design got its name.
A week or 2 later John and Martin were gathered round Chris's computer to finalise the design. Rumour has it that there was a lot of "Are you sure about that guys?" From Chris, and about the same "Yeah, just do it!" from the others. John and Martin built 2652 over the winter, and the original Flying Trifle was launched in time for the '92 Nationals. Patrick Cunningham, another IOW sailor took the jig and built 2654 shortly after.
2652 was fast straight out of the box and did well at the '92 Nats. The design is characterised by its extremely low rocker and concave flared topsides.  This makes it particularly fast on a reach or downwind. It's also a reasonably good weight carrier. The downside of the low rocker is twofold. It exacerbates the on/off nature of Cherub performance, making it somewhat slower in sub-planing conditions. It also tends to cause sudden and unexpected nose-dives. This was beautifully described by the Trims as "Alien Abduction", the phenomenon whereby you're planing along at warp speed one moment, and find yourself swimming in the sea the next without being quite sure how you got there.
It may not be the best all-round performer, but in terms of excitement per pound it's a difficult boat to beat.   

Offline Max McCarthy

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »
Thanks a lot Neil, that is a real help. It is always nice knowing the history of, if not the actual boat, but the design of boat.

Many thanks,

Max

andylang

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 06:45:55 AM »
I used to own 2654, hi all long time ;) for those here still that know me!

I had it, it's a flying trifle turbo. I owned her in the early noughties and renamed her: Norfolk In Chance.

Awesum boat to sail, in a breeze! Bugger all rocker so needed a big push to get going and a sweet spot sweeter to find than a sober Irishman! But you knew when you wer in the groove. I once set a crazy speed in the early days of gps on this boat.

Shame the flares have been cut off, if u had a bit much power or needed to pinch up with the kite up then it planned on the flair! Haha!

Pop up some piccies :) if no one buys it I will!! Loads of good memories as my cherub after it was Aquamarine which some frenchy burnt!

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
Hi Andy...Norfolk in Chance has been bought - see the request for repair advice.

I have informed what the name means  ;D (anyone who is wondering should say it quite fast with a northern accent)

Are you close enough to Carsington to get down there at the weekend?
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline stom

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »
I used to own 2654, hi all long time ;) for those here still that know me!

I had it, it's a flying trifle turbo. I owned her in the early noughties and renamed her: Norfolk In Chance.

Awesum boat to sail, in a breeze! Bugger all rocker so needed a big push to get going and a sweet spot sweeter to find than a sober Irishman! But you knew when you wer in the groove. I once set a crazy speed in the early days of gps on this boat.

Shame the flares have been cut off, if u had a bit much power or needed to pinch up with the kite up then it planned on the flair! Haha!

Pop up some piccies :) if no one buys it I will!! Loads of good memories as my cherub after it was Aquamarine which some frenchy burnt!

Hi Andy,

I'm the new owner of 2654, If you can make it to Carsington on the 22nd you'd be welcome to take her out for a play and show me how she's supposed to be sailed!

Regards

Tom

andylang

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
Hi, fraid I'm down Southampton. But enjoy her, and get some piccies up ;)

General tips, keep it flat at all times and your weight fore and aft makes the biggest difference. A T-foil rudder would be very appropriate on Norfolk.

More sail area! I had her in twin wire 97 rules mode but ran a 30m kite for fun - it loved it! But again keep it flat in all directions, if the bows up its god slow - the sweet spot downwind is scary, edge forward and it'll level out and just keep accelerating! Well until it pitch poles! It does this alot! Even managed to pitch pole it upwind!

It's a carbon Kevlar hull, a little on the tubby side now but totally bomb proof!! :)

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »
Hi Andy, how's life? What's your email address these days? Your old hotmail one seems to have died. I'd like to get in touch with Martin Cruden / CST since he lives up this end of the country. Any chance you have his contact details?
Cheers, Neil.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:52:13 PM by Neil C. »

Offline stom

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
Hi, fraid I'm down Southampton. But enjoy her, and get some piccies up ;)

General tips, keep it flat at all times and your weight fore and aft makes the biggest difference. A T-foil rudder would be very appropriate on Norfolk.

More sail area! I had her in twin wire 97 rules mode but ran a 30m kite for fun - it loved it! But again keep it flat in all directions, if the bows up its god slow - the sweet spot downwind is scary, edge forward and it'll level out and just keep accelerating! Well until it pitch poles! It does this alot! Even managed to pitch pole it upwind!

It's a carbon Kevlar hull, a little on the tubby side now but totally bomb proof!! :)

We had her out in a force 5-6 this week at Carsington.  My god she's quick downwind, scary when you get it right.  I cant believe how loud the hull reverberations are!  Good tips keeping the weight forward, I can understand her propensity to pitchpole in waves!