Author Topic: Chew Files  (Read 43275 times)

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Chew Files
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 06:43:32 AM »
Rock and roll!

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:53 AM »
Crew is still grinning too.

Nick in Bristol

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »
Sounds like it was a great day :)

Will have to drop by chew sometime soon and check it out properly.

roland_trim

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 10:25:49 PM »
You'd be welcome to be our guest.

Need to sort getting that stock to you. Can bring it in to the City center if easier?

Nick in Bristol

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »
Thanks - will take you up on the chew invite.

If you're still sailing at Thornbury then you pretty much drive past my house to get there as I'm just off the A38 by Aztec West, so feel free to drop in for a chat and a cuppa.

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 12:50:19 PM »
Team Trim is getting all of its rescue boat duties out of the way in one go - last week Thornbury, this coming Saturday (29th) Chew.
The duty at Thornbury was made much more interesting by taking photos and video of Anti (although having to rescue a single-handed scorpion was a minor distraction. R did a sterling job of righting it when its owner got too tired - we've clearly had far too much practice in this area!).
So if anyone wants to provide us with some entertainment at Chew this Saturday, they'd be very welcome.

roland_trim

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »
Another rescue duty - another roll of film (no Cherub shots). The chop on chew was wetter than at Thornbury, so sadly most of the photos are wrecked by water droplets on the lens!

https://picasaweb.google.com/110044885139843498248/20111029__Chew

Really enjoyed the rescue duty. Looking forward to meeting up again with the topper sailor and arranging a boat swap. I'll happily crew his boat (it is not a topper!). After thinking it through I think we should up the stakes and he'll also have to helm Born Slippy as part of the deal (more to follow later). 

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 09:29:05 AM »
Last night at Chew was a special event in honour of the Olympic torch's passage by Bristol. I was looking forward to a sunny evening crewing Marmite with Paul.

Sunny, yes. The wind however decided to have a bit of a laugh. It stopped. Then it started. Then it changed direction repeatedly without any warning. Then it stopped again. We spent some time going backwards. And a lot of time on the opposite tack to boats heading in the same direction. It proved impossible to carry the kite on a single leg of the triangle-sausage course. I was feeling like a useless playpen passenger while Paul leapt in and out like a demon yo-yo. Neither of us can remember a flukier, more difficult outing at Chew.

I learned a lot from Paul (thank you!), but needless to say we did not win any of the medals or model Olympic torches. Not Cherub weather.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »
The agony serves to make the ecstasy what it is!

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
True. The drive to and from the club in my little car with the roof off was poor consolation. Hoping for some ecstasy this weekend.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »
Its that Shamen song again.
R good should deffinately be your next boat

Offline Hayley_Trim

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »
Ecstasy arrived on Saturday courtesy of Born Slippy doing what she does best. Trucking upwind at 14.5 knots and some nice little kite runs thrown it.
Took Evo out in very tame conditions today and got her shifting quite nicely once or twice.  Feeling nice warm fuzzy feelings.  Don't think it's just sun overdose.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 07:00:32 AM »
Fuzzy is good
Sounds like a good weekend.
EJ went out four a very short sail in 25knts.
We went out after 5 mins blew the outhall stopped and tried to re tie while standing in the back but the rope didn't so much snap as explode so no hope.
decide to go for one down wind but the crew pulled the cleat off on the hoist.
Sounds like a disaster but I have 2 thoughts...
How fast is EJ (even in poole running out of water will happen quite quickly)
and What a lovely off button (So stable we may take a board game with us for between races)
Lots of promise there so a strange good sail.

roland_trim

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »
http://www.uk-cherub.org/doku.php/boats/2674

Some Born Slippy action from Saturday
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:31:41 AM by Born Slippy »

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 08:46:02 AM »
Nice vid, sums up 97'ing very well!

One thing I do notice is that I had forgotten how flat the water stays when sailing inland even when it is breezy so you were able to get it ripping much more easily upwind. Having to negotiate the chop and odd container/cruise ship wake means you have to work it so much harder to keep it in the groove.

How well are you pointing upwind? There is certainly a fine line in between footing off and ripping and keeping it pointing, and this seems to be very much wind dependent otherwise you just ending up sailing so much further and it negates any benefit from the extra speed. Numb seems to be going alright in very light airs as we were pointing as well or better than the majority of the single handing fleet at Netley as we happily sailed straight over the top of the Vareos and 600's yesterday after a 'leisurely'* start!

*We hadn't fully commited to partaking in the racing and I cleverly left my watch at home and the TackTick in the car!