Author Topic: E6 Design  (Read 37460 times)

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
Re: E6 Design
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
My first Cherub was one I built, starting with a shell from Andy P, I had no boat building experience, but plenty of fixing experience.
There were no other Cherubs or boat builders within a good few hundred miles of me. It was quite different construction from any other cherub of the time, and I did not see another cherub between starting the build and finishing it. I took over two years to build it working on my own, more money than I expected, and until I scraped together enough money to get a Carbon mast it was almost un-sailable.
Despite all the problems it was worth it. If what you want is a cheap way to the front of the fleet then a home build is not it, however if what you want is to build a boat, then building a boat is what you should do.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »
thankyou phil, i think your story there pretty much ums up what i want to do....
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 03:34:04 PM »
glad you are building... it makes sense of me sending you that jib car and track system. BTW don't worry about sending any cash for it ( as long as I don't see it on ebay next week  :D ) I'm happy to help you out. Be pre-paired for this lot taking the piss out of the length time your build takes, if you are using monthly available funds, as it will take you while. Although I doubt you have any dependents requiring teenage lifestyle funding.  :D So maybe you'll be quicker than me.  :-[ good luck.

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 06:37:36 PM »
thanktou daryl, i was just about to cll you to say its come. thanks for advice, im fine with advice just not people assuming i dont have a clue about something. i know perfectly well that i may make mistakes but i am prepared to deal with them, and will be building froma sound shell anyway.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:34:15 PM by john_hamilton »
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
sorry if i sound slightly put out, im not really. please dont anyone take offence

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
Sound way to start John.

Again starting from a shell takes a lot of hours and risk out of a build.

While a number of people commenting have built a boat themselves from various starting points I think we always under estimate the time it takes. I know that you are prepared for this.  The eagerness to see another boat on the water and see how a project is progressing could be partly responsible for the time scale comments.

Do it right and do it once but don't do it to fast without thinking because you will build your self into corners and compromise the eventual craft.
I'm also happy to help.
My learning  from experience is: that fancy faired beams take much longer to make than hollow carbon tubes.
If you have planned out what all the main components are going to look like and where they go make all the similar ones at the same time to benifit from using a familiar technique. Start with the least critical component.
Get everything level and check dimensions before gluing it all together.
Again good luck

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »
Some Centerboard shapes
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline peter_barton

• Apprentice Guru
    • www.skifftastic.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 10:30:58 PM »
Interesteing, I forgot about that one. Shame we didnt think to get them same distance from camera.

I must remember to lift mine when we get overpowered, it is too easy to forget in the excitement. We forgot at the BM, it would have made those gusts a bit more forgiving.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:49:50 PM by peter_barton »

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
Or are they saying 'I've got this huge carbon/foam growth on my foot!'  must make it difficult finding dinghy boots to get over that. :)

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
Ok, so hoiw would a constant section foil with a small lifting foil at the bottom perform? You would effectively then be end plated at both top and bottom. Im talking reduced displacement foiling here.

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 10:53:08 PM »
Common Paul, lets see some top notch cabinet making going on here.  

I'm putting my money on you stip planking this baby in Western Red with an epoxy glass sheath.  Who knows, if you're careful you could pop off the female tool and may well be able to resurect the plug as a hull.  

I heard the original strip planked 29er somewhere is somewhere in Oz (it would probably last longer than the plastic ones).

Well it is strip planked but being MDF I give it about half an hour in water before it started dissolving! (anyone seen the papier mashy flying boat on Phineas and Ferb?) It also weighs about 200kg at the moment (about the same as a SMOD). Here is some pics just after finishing the planking. should have some better photos in a few days once it is faired.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:54:22 PM by paul_croote »

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »
Looking good Paul.

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 04:49:44 PM »
That is going to be one fine looking ship!

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »
Latest pics

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 10:44:25 PM »
awesome looking paul