Author Topic: Nice wheels...  (Read 77115 times)

iain_christie

Re: Nice wheels...
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 10:28:41 PM »
Ah, you mean an understeer compensating counterweight, perfect at inducing lift-off oversteer in the same stylee as a 911 or MR2? 

AKA a towbar??? ;D

Offline tgruitt

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »
I might take offense to that comment Mr Gruitt, but

A) I, and the other car connoisseurs out there know that the Vi isn't JUST a Rover,

and

B) At least I don't have to rely on public transport and skanking lifts from people.

So nerrrr  ;)

Indeed, I am a car connoisseur also, but the decision, Rover or walk. hmmmmm Rover or walk. Keeps me fit, I will walk.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 08:03:15 AM »
Tim
 That Fiat looks like fun but saddly even our old tank will beat it in a boat towing contest and road trips to France would be a little cramped. Though it is true a trip to scotland it may win as it could get up and back four times before we get there.
Iain
It is still a Chelsea tractor its just the roads have some bad potholes near you.
Looked great though.
Ross
Good to see you are going for the passion wagon look. It should match your 70's theme well.
Now I have offended everyone I'd just like to say our old tank got through its MOT for the grand cost of £60 including MOT cost.
I think they felt sorry for us.

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »
Aslong long as; I can put a sofa bed in it, run it on vegatable oil, it has a tow bar and it costs under £500 I will be happy...teenager.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 09:08:33 PM »
mate just sent me this http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3105304

pretty mental stuff as the guy survived and only had minor wounds! Thats a good a reason as any to buy an RS6 surely? Look how safe it is!  ::)

iain_christie

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 10:00:24 PM »

Iain
It is still a Chelsea tractor its just the roads have some bad potholes near you.
Looked great though.

Roads are even worse in Derbyshire...found this little beauty over Easter.  And yep, it is a road...you need to be taxed, insured and MOTd to drive it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3iRLwfFyho

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »
Iain, you are really a full-time mentalist!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 07:37:31 AM »
Must be a different bit of Derbyshire to me, the roads are a little better than that for my daily commute!

roland_trim

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »
Ian. I'm guessing you fitted a sump guard with the snorkel?

Now imagine doing that on a similar road, 100 miles form the neareest doctor with the knowledge that if you needed him you had to drive to the hospital to get treatment. Add 500m drop on 1 side of the road, a 3' to a 1ft deep flow of mud down the road and the heaviest rain you have ever seen. This is roughtly where H & I found ourselves at 5pm during our holiday in Malawi. To complicate things the Pajero had under 0.5mm of tread, no guards and we had 6 people on board after our buddy broke a prop shaft in a bog and donated the broken vehicle to the school that owned the field we had detoured through.

It gets dark at 6pm and 9pm is effectively midnight (they wake up witht he sun at 5am). At 7pm we found a "hard point" to leave the car on and walked 4km to the nearest village and amazingly found a lodge. We were the first "Muzungo" tenants the landlord had had and we shared our bed with a good number of insects. Apparently the road had been closed a day earlier (1 day after we checked with the local aid agency on the road conditions) - a road block at the bottom should have told us, but instead opened a gate and waved us through...

Excellent fun although a bit edgy at times. Lovely locals people who taught us their local words used in everyday offroading "pushy pushy", "Fire fire" and "dig more stuck less".

Most of the pictures will arrive soon, but have some snaps on my phone of the following day.

iain_christie

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »
Roland that's pretty cool and I admire your "cojonnes"...if I'd lashed that, the worst case scenario would be a few phone calls or a CB call and we'd have been out of it.  I'd love to do a proper overland expedition one day, just an amazing way to see the world.

Re modifications it is a little "tweaked"...plus 2" lift kit all round, extended gas shockers, front valance removed, front steering guard, 265/75 MT tyres with a slight trim of the rear arches so they fit, front recovery points, rear anti-roll bar in the scrap pile (must remove the front one day), snorkel and a CB, and additional driving lights mounted on the A bar.  I probably won't bother with a winch as I've never needed to use one...it just adds weight, and reduces ride height!

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 06:16:13 PM »
Iain, you are really a full-time mentalist!

Iain, I would seriously chuffed if someone labeled me that!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 09:04:37 PM »
just been sent a link to this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-ROVER-214-IS-GREEN_W0QQitemZ220235220774QQihZ012QQcategoryZ18262QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

read the questions and answers, really quite amusing!

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »
I definitely wont loose it in Sainsburys car park.

;D

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 06:10:08 PM »
But you might in Asda's

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru