Author Topic: Scumbag nearly back on the water...  (Read 29207 times)

Greg

Scumbag nearly back on the water...
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »
So after buying scumbag, we decided to fix all the little bits just before we go on the water.
So far we have done some filling of the hull, painted the spars black  ;D , filled the mast (only a little), fixed the end of the spinniker pole (which was split!!?!?!), and now we've primed the foils, ready for a respray. Also, we're currently coating the mast, which was going to be with epoxy, but its too thick, so we'll find something else.

So hopefully she'll be sailing soon.

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
Re: Scumbag nearly back on the water...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 12:45:41 AM »
Cool. Rename the boat back to it's original; Domino
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Stuart Hopson

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »
Yes please put its name back to its original 'Domino' much much cooler name and its good for the boats history.

Greg

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »
We could, but I think Dave has some names of his own.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:10:57 AM »
I'm backing Eddie in the cool stakes... I like 'Scumbag'. Anyone that sails a twin wire Cherub at 11 years old knows a lot more about being cool than any of us old farts. I say stay with what the cool ones says and keep the name as 'Scumbag'.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 06:45:03 PM »
Good to see you guys today at the club. How did it go?

Greg

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »
Well 'eventful' and 'steep learning curve' are a few words that come to mind...
But all in all good fun =D

One of the main things we realised is that you can't really turn with just the rudder, its about weight distribution.
And don't worry, we did christen her, but it seems like she christened us...

That reminds me, how many youth sailors actaully are there among cherubs?

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 10:36:33 PM »
Im 15 and have just got/"bought" cheese before bedtime, and am planning an attack on the nationals with another 15 yr old :) XD is that youth enough?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Greg

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 11:50:47 PM »
Well I'm (just barely) 16, but its nice to actually see some youth sailors around. You bought Cheese? We wanted it, but our budget wouldn't allow. Hopefully I'll get to the nationals, but I might try and crew for someone, seeing as our boat might not be ready, and my crew might not be around either.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »
What excellent bits of news to top off a really great weekend at Sheppey. I am so sore and sunburned!

The weather was great - except when we were racing. Very peculiar to have good breeze before and after the racing but none during - what does it mean?

Anyway - much fun was had by all with big mixups and place changes. Very demanding stuff. 

So Platypus/Domino/Captain America/Scumbag went sailing and had a good time. About steering, you are bang on that the rudder alone is not much good, especially for bearing away. We pretty much dump the main off completely (both sails if it is windy) and heel the boat over towards us loads for the bear away. Even if you don't do that, just keeping the boat really flat will help you steer. Stick at it!

The other bit of news is a new home for Cheese - fantastic stuff.

The Suicide Blonde boys had a good time too on Saturday with the odd blast, but only when there wasn't any racing....

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
The weather was great - except when we were racing. Very peculiar to have good breeze before and after the racing but none during - what does it mean?

Stuck between sea and land breeze.

Greg

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
Yeah, for us its about teamwork and having a crew that knows what to do =D
But its just gonna take some practice, although i did notice that it does roll-tack very nicely, and is so much easier than the fireball (our previous boat).

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »

In the morning on both days it was westerly, and in the afternoon on both days it was westerly, with very light NW-SWly in between. Not typical of a sea-breeze gradient breeze situation. Also it was overcast for much of both days too - not typical seabreeze weather. Further, there was no sign of wind anywhere on the estuary, whereas a sea-breeze/gradient breeze (I don't think you mean land breeze - this is the thermal opposite of the sea breeze you get just before dawn as land cools and the sea is warm enough to make thermals - pretty much the province of the tropics. Lord Cochrane daringly used the land breeze to sail some French ships he had just captured out of a caribbean harbour. But I digress) is expected to be less than a mile wide with the wind in opposite directions on each side. Not what we saw.

My explanation for Saturday is as follows: There was a Wly breeze of 6-10 knots when we set out at high tide. It was predominently overcast but with occasional patches of sun. The cloud up above looked like it was raining, but I don't remember any. (I am told that in a fair fraction of rain showers, none of it gets to the ground - it evaporates before it gets there!). Clouds which are raining have air falling out of the bottom and fanning out when the air hits the water, so to leeward (as we were then) there is more wind, and once the cloud is past, there is less. That could have taken the wind down to 5kn, say. Add to that the tide pushing us all downwind at ~1-2knots and you have very little wind. In the middle of race 2 Lucy and I saw another raining cloud travel the length of Sheppey about 2 miles to our south. As it approached we had a bit more wind, but this time from the SW. As it continued past the wind went round nearly to the S. At this point the course was reset by the race officer.....in time for the gradient wind to re-establish itself from just S of West. All of this was on the background of a building ebb tidal stream.

Anyway, my question was more rhetorical.

roland_trim

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 03:37:28 PM »
although i did notice that it does roll-tack very nicely
Hmm you may find this one less advisable when it starts to blow :o
(Wow for the first time one of these smiley things actually looks appropriate - although it is nearer H's especially annoyed face when I try to Gybe without getting the boat flat first)

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 04:31:41 PM »

In the morning on both days it was westerly, and in the afternoon on both days it was westerly, with very light NW-SWly in between. Not typical of a sea-breeze gradient breeze situation. Also it was overcast for much of both days too - not typical seabreeze weather. Further, there was no sign of wind anywhere on the estuary, whereas a sea-breeze/gradient breeze (I don't think you mean land breeze - this is the thermal opposite of the sea breeze you get just before dawn as land cools and the sea is warm enough to make thermals - pretty much the province of the tropics. Lord Cochrane daringly used the land breeze to sail some French ships he had just captured out of a caribbean harbour. But I digress) is expected to be less than a mile wide with the wind in opposite directions on each side. Not what we saw.

My explanation for Saturday is as follows: There was a Wly breeze of 6-10 knots when we set out at high tide. It was predominently overcast but with occasional patches of sun. The cloud up above looked like it was raining, but I don't remember any. (I am told that in a fair fraction of rain showers, none of it gets to the ground - it evaporates before it gets there!). Clouds which are raining have air falling out of the bottom and fanning out when the air hits the water, so to leeward (as we were then) there is more wind, and once the cloud is past, there is less. That could have taken the wind down to 5kn, say. Add to that the tide pushing us all downwind at ~1-2knots and you have very little wind. In the middle of race 2 Lucy and I saw another raining cloud travel the length of Sheppey about 2 miles to our south. As it approached we had a bit more wind, but this time from the SW. As it continued past the wind went round nearly to the S. At this point the course was reset by the race officer.....in time for the gradient wind to re-establish itself from just S of West. All of this was on the background of a building ebb tidal stream.

Anyway, my question was more rhetorical.

That's lots of words... I talk in pictures...

I meant you may have been place @ 'A' on the diagram