Author Topic: Scumbag nearly back on the water...  (Read 29198 times)

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
Re: Scumbag nearly back on the water...
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »
Anyway, that was our first play with her and I'm sure we'll have plenty of time for practice before the Nats, especially if we try capsizing close to the shore so that Daryl can ply us with helpful comments/abuse!!!

You know the comments / abuse won't come from me ;)... it'll be from the chorus of pint holding members on the perfectly positioned club balcony. ;D

I did notice she does float a little high the other day. Just after you decided to make a dash across the shallows ( underwater wall ). You must be to used to having a centerboard in that 'Ball' of yours! Doesn't look like she floats higher than most production boats though. I think if you make sure you let everything off like the other posters have said it will be much easier. If you have difficulty getting on the board with the trap harness you can always rig some righting lines with an extra line with a foot loop in the end to aid getting on the board.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »
Argument clinic! Fantastic!

"I've told you once!"

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »
any chance you commenting on PBO thread Will?

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 01:26:01 PM »
I've been trying to remember, its not asif we never capsized it !

I think the key is where you said "hanging" off the centreboard. Thats not gonna work I am afraid, you have to stand on it and get some spinnaker sheet (as roland suggested) - then she'll pop up no trouble !

Yes, the board floats quite high, but it'll keep you fit clambering onto it ! The other advantage is that as it comes up you can swing a leg over and get in, miles better than having an upright boat and 2 bods outside it, cherubs can be a bit tricky to get back into when they catch a gust and the tiller extensions are wrapped in the mainsheet....

Greg

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »
It wasn't really hanging, crew was standing and I was holding onto the bottom of the daggerboard, but at least now we can try some more stuff.
And now the Trapeze harness has arrived I'll be able to do some trapezing now! Theres actually a surpisingly large number of pint holding members there... I'm wondering if they actually sail at all...
And as for the floating high, we did actually discover an aweful lot of water in the hull when we got to sure... a broken seal maybe?

And I think 'The Argument Clinic' it is! One day we'll need a waterproof camera to prove how true it is.

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 04:26:51 PM »
Water in the tank Greg ? which one ? The forward one i might expect a pint or two if you have capsized a lot, but the aft ones hiss air when the bungs are unscrewed.

I always supected the hatch in the front tank may not be 100%, if you're getting water in the front one make sure that you have that hatch on very, very tight.

If its not that then as you say maybe a seal somewhere or something, maybe sitting indoors for 6 months has helped something perish or so.

Dave_Fudge

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
Never thought I'd say this, I can't wait to get the boat out on the water and turned upside down! I've got a great idea though, sell tickets for the balcony, serve Pimms and put on a demonstration of two idiots trying to right a Cherub; it's got to be worth it and we could raise funds for the "Get Banshee Ambulance Afloat" Campaign.  ;)
We'll replace the front seal, check the two rears, eat some more pies and hire the two sumos. What a fantastic weekend to look forward to.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:54:52 PM by Dave_Fudge »

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru

Greg

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 02:52:37 PM »
Another Problem we're having is fitting the trapeze wires to the mast (they were tied around before :S )

Any Ideas how to make the hole for the t bit (I can't remeber what it is called)

I'll probably start a thread in the tech forum.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »
In general, making holes in carbon masts is a bad thing as it only weakens the structure. People have various ways of attaching trap wires. On the production type masts it is standard to have a routed out hole and then the t-terminal sockets are riveted on. You could also attach a small ring to the mast with carbon and epoxy, and then shackle the trap lines to that. Other people just tie the trap lines on (as are done on my boat) For the starboard side, i spliced a dyneema loop round the starboard spreader, took the tail round the front of the mast round the port spreader and then down back over the top of the starboard spreader. I have then attached my twin wires to the end of this strop. Do the opposite for the port side. This works well it seems!

Greg

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 03:02:45 PM »
Ah ok, well it had the T-terminal ends already attached to the wires, but it looks like the pre-routed holes and backing plates have been carbon-epoxied over where the mast was repaired.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 03:06:15 PM »
Now with an 'excellent' cad drawing to explain the jibberish  ;D

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »
Neat! (Phil can you move this stuff to the right thread please?)

We have a figure 8 of vectran tied to itself, and the traps shackled on there where they pass under the spreaders.

Offline daniel_kemble

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »
I have a wire strop which is swaged on one end into the terminal hook with the shroud line. On the other end of the strop i have a thimble secured in a loop which i can shackle the trap lines too. Seeing as i have plently of lard on board i was worried but it so far has not caused any problems
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:38:51 PM by daniel_kemble »

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 12:28:42 AM »
I have a wire strop which is swaged on one end into the terminal hook with the shroud line.
I've used the swaged onto shroud solution for trapeze wires on both Queenie and Halo without problems, and few folk (if any) have ever dangled more lard off a single Cherub wire than I have.