Author Topic: ?Scumbag?  (Read 11856 times)

roland_trim

?Scumbag?
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:42:01 PM »
Any news?

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: ?Scumbag?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 08:33:02 AM »
Scumbag has gone to a new home at Burghfield; Greg and David I am sure will introduce themselves here soon, I wish them as much fun in it as we had in her.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:15:31 AM »
Hello Greg and David,

Do come to Sheppey this weekend - it'll be great!

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:57:07 AM »
Yes Jeremy told me someone was going to see a Cherub yesterday. Cool.

Hi Greg / David...

... introduce yourself at the club next weekend. Me and my boy are in the Black Mirror, the one you buzzed the other weekend single handing your Fireball! I promise to get my boat finished soon so there is another Cherub to sail against at B.S.C   :)

roland_trim

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:29:28 PM »
Can't recommend heading to an open meeting highly enough, especially as the previous owner will be there for rigging advice...

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:29:25 PM »
We had some very close racing with Scumbag at last year's nationals both vi-ing for the 97 rules trophy.
A nicely set up boat and quick in the bargin. 

Dave_Fudge

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:15:48 AM »
Hi everybody. Greg and I are out of the 'grooty, woodwormed and thoroughly damaged but extremely well sailed' Fireball Stable. Sailing a wooden boat twice a week takes it's toll and 'Scumbag' is the ideal antidote.

Greg's just finished his GCSEs and like me is an ardent Engineering type - which is why Scmbg is now being rodded out as we speak.

Plans? Initial refit so that everything works nicely and we can get sailing followed by a hard summer of practicing on Burghfield Lake. This winter.....well the planning committee have already decided on some snout work. A T-foil is definately being drawn up but possibly with a twist - being one of Her Majesty's Aviating Types I might consider Dihedral to counter the effects of weather helm (be interested if anyone's considered or tried this already).

In the meantime, thanks for the welcome - I'm sure we'll be asking all sorts of tech questions in the not too distant future

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »
Welcome along Dave and Greg. Look forward to meeting you on the circuit, and thoroughly recommend coming to the nationals as it really is the best way to pick up knowledge! Sounds like you have plans for the boat, all very exciting. Keep us updated with photos so we can see how you're getting on  ;D

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »
Hi everybody. Greg and I are out of the 'grooty, woodwormed and thoroughly damaged but extremely well sailed' Fireball Stable. Sailing a wooden boat twice a week takes it's toll and 'Scumbag' is the ideal antidote.

Greg's just finished his GCSEs and like me is an ardent Engineering type - which is why Scmbg is now being rodded out as we speak.

Plans? Initial refit so that everything works nicely and we can get sailing followed by a hard summer of practicing on Burghfield Lake. This winter.....well the planning committee have already decided on some snout work. A T-foil is definately being drawn up but possibly with a twist - being one of Her Majesty's Aviating Types I might consider Dihedral to counter the effects of weather helm (be interested if anyone's considered or tried this already).

In the meantime, thanks for the welcome - I'm sure we'll be asking all sorts of tech questions in the not too distant future

Are you going to twin wire at B.S.C?

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 03:09:36 PM »
Do come to the nationals - It's the annual festival of cherub sailing (with some races)!

This weekend will be the same - only sooner. It would be great to see you both there.

Dave_Fudge

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »
Sorry guys, had to sort out my cookie settings (where's Greg when you need him?).
First off Daryl - I know Burghfield have got a thing about twin trapezes on the lake but they've put up with me screamin' around in the Fireball single handed at Mach 2 for several years. I'm sure a responsible attitude will see us through and not upset too many people if we ever have enough wind to both get out on the wire.
As for Sheppey this weekend, we are pretty tied to the workshop until we get the beast growling again and won't make it . The Nationals sound good though as long as we can find some where to pitch a tent (spent all our pocket money on the boat).
Busy sorting out the mast as we speak...parted with some cash to Andy Leigh at Mayday for a new transom pintle and replacing a fair amount of rope. Greg's got the filler out so shouldn't be too long.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:46:09 PM »
I'm not sure responsible and Cherub have ever been used in the same sentence ever before, top marks for your first, well first!

I have a slight concern over 21sqm of coloured sail, 2 wires, 3 / 4 islands, shallows and the single minded view point of a Cherubs direction when hooked into a gust having a disagreement with philosophical meaning of the word responsible. But I'm sure it'll be fine.  ;D

Greg

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:24:10 PM »
Responsible is the word we use to persuade the club that we wont bowsprite any oppies.

Of course this is a lie, but they don't know that.

Oh yeah, and I'm Greg.

Dave_Fudge

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 11:08:46 PM »

re⋅spon⋅si⋅ble  /rɪˈspɒnsəbəl/  Pronunciation [ri-spon-suh-buhl] 
–adjective 1. answerable or accountable, as for something within one's power, control, or management 

Yep, I think you're right Cherubs certainly have the power but as for the control and management?

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 11:18:06 PM »
Well that's the legal side sorted. There's no flies on you.

Speaking personally I've never being in control of any my Cherub's, just ask my wife.  ;D