Author Topic: The perils of cheap tarp lines.  (Read 11710 times)

Offline Banshee Ambulance

• Guru's Assistant
The perils of cheap tarp lines.
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:48:25 PM »
After I had the genius idea of extending the current trapeze lines with some cheap 1.5mm stuff from the tool box I had a bit of a shock! There was the most amazing bang and at that moment I realized what had happened, trap line gone, me in the drink! Just as well we were not racing really!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: The perils of cheap tarp lines.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 02:54:35 PM »
whoops! I wouldn't really want to drop any lower than a 3mm dyneema line! Although I did hear rumours of a sub 1mm PBO trap line!!

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:39:48 PM »
When sailing at Keilder last year with Ratface there was many a 'twang' as we sailed around. When we got back in we looked at the top of the trap lines to find that the wire had been happily snapping away a James was trapezing from just a few strands!
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

roland_trim

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
A small length of thin plastic hose at the spreaders can work a treat to avoid freefall.

In the trifle days I managed to eject Dr. Lucy twice within a hour into a very cold Draycote.

Strangely, I think she found being ejected a relief from the terrifying ride the novice helm was subjecting her to. I'll always be grateful for her teaching me how to go downhill via the screaming that came from the wire - especially as it made me realise H had become mute with terror.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »
If the dynema will thread through electrical earth wire sleaving that will provide some protection from chafe.

When things get a bit scarry on our boat Sarah now grabs my spray top.  This is a sign of increased confidence in my eyes because she normally keeps both hands gripped on the spinny sheet.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:41:21 PM »
We used a bit of 1.5mm to join the top of the helm's trap wire to the upper spreaders the first time we went twin wiring. Lasted about 0.5 seconds - and led to a big swim on the first beat of the first race of the '05 Nationals. (Top class regatta preparation - Not).