Linked Events

• Dracote Blast: March 15, 2008 - March 16, 2008

Author Topic: Post Dinghy Show Blast  (Read 24554 times)

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Post Dinghy Show Blast
« on: February 19, 2008, 07:34:06 AM »
As is the usual fashion, I am organising a blast for the weekend after the dinghy show. This year it will be Saturday March 8th and Sunday March 9th at Draycote Water Sailing Club near Rugby. Let's focus our efforts for the saturday and get as many boats on the water as possible if people are only able to attend one day as the lake is less busy.

Accomodation wise there is very cheap camping on site if you are very brave, or a number of hotels, bed and breakfasts etc locally. We stayed at a holiday inn express this weekend for £49 a night so £25 isn't bad for somewhere to wash and dry your kit, sleep in the warm and get breakfast!

Get your boats ready to sail and help us make this a good one!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 11:13:04 PM by admin »

iain_christie

Re: Post Dinghy Show Blast
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:23:21 AM »
Hmmm, not sure that my boat will be finished (or even started!) but we could dig the 18 out for a laugh!

Tim, shall I book the "all you can eat" Chinese now? :)

Offline Stuart Hopson

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »
Iain get the Chinese booked!

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »
I agree. I'd get down there a few times between now and then though Iain as I doubt they'll be able to finance many more large groups of cherub sailors!

Also could you organise the weather to be similar to last weekend too... maybe just a touch warmer, and a tiny bit more wind!  ;)

Offline neal_gibson

• Apprentice Guru
  • sending it
    • Storrar Marine
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:10:35 PM »
iain isnt that the same weekend as the 49er and 29er open at your club? just in case that matters

will have to pull my finger out to finish off the boat building
2644 Suicide Blonde

The Northern ONE
Resident Sailmaker

Damage count so far this season
1) RS Feva mast easy
2) Cherub Main Fixed
3) VW BORA Gone forever bugger
4) One cherub boom Debi does ass damage fixed now.

Offline Eggbert

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:58:01 PM »
i'm am hopefully going to come if i dont't have to work and i can get the boat home and repaired!
2535  91 rules  "Eggbert the Nasty" for sale
2657  97 rules  "Slippery When Wet"

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »
I up for it! Not a fan of Chinese though...sorry. Peaking duck is FIT though.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

iain_christie

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »
OK all I'm just checking that they are OK to have us alongside the 9ers.  I'm also going to ask some favours from people coming as it's fair to say that Cherubs and some other easily confusable 12' twin wire classes have blotted the copybook a bit here and guess who gets it in the neck...moi!

PAYING-please pay BEFORE you go afloat, no exceptions.  Freeloading windsurfers ended up making the club change policy so that no daysailing windsurfers are allowed any more, you MUST be a member to sail.  We don't want that with dinghies!  Just to reiterate, that's PAY BEFORE YOU PLAY!

PARKING-You MUST park your car in the lower car park before you go sailing.  Severn Trent have put up signs and put all kinds of restrictions on traffic around the lake, and as we are in delicate negotiations about the club's lease on their land, we must play by their rules.

SAILING-You must SIGN ON on the sheet by the bottom of the outside door onto the patio before you go on the water.  Also please make sure that you do not interfere with the 9er event happening...a certain Cherub who will remain anonymous got right in the way of the 18/49er open last year!  Also, there has been mumblings of PY limits at the club and we've had to step up rescue cover to double manning RIBs...we all know Cherubs fall in a lot and seomtimes break but if it's really too windy then please be sensible with regards to your limits.  Accidents happen but rescue boats totally tied up all day with constantly swimming or self-destructing Cherubs is not good PR or good for the skiffy DWSC members (hmmm, rich from the helm who manged to destroy Simon's slug's rudderstock on the bearaway last Sunday with the No2 Skiff rig up...ooops!  We sailed it back though!)

Sorry to sound arsey but please stick to this 100% and we'll remain welcome for years to come!  And for anyone who has not been before, Draycote is an awesome venue, superb rigging and launching, and well over mile long reaches! 

And bring your drinking boots, Chinese eating hat, and in case there's no wind, your bike! ;D ;D ;D

roland_trim

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:12:57 PM »
We stayed at the Village Green Hotel‎ (01788 813434). Warm, friendly and incredibly near to Draycote. If you phone the owner will match the online price of 60 per room per night (and be happy as she gets all of that instead of paying internet comission). 

Unfortunately we will be drinking cocktails on a giant cat in the middle of Lake Milawi - so wish you all the best.

PS The whole "pay before you sail" thing Ian was on about is worth doing with a smile on your face. There were rumours in the bar of one representative of another twin-wire-12ft-derivative who tried to skip out without paying for the privelidge of using the facilites (it's not as if we don't all know that it's £20 per day sail there before we turn up!).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:25:20 PM by Born Slippy »

iain_christie

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 10:35:49 AM »
Not once but twice!! >:(

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 05:10:58 PM »
Is anyone from around London going? I might need to scrounge a lift.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »
Is there any more news about the blast, is it still OK with the 9ers?

Are there any times or a programme for the weekend?

Can whoever knows what is going on post something on the news page of the website.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Stuart Hopson

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »
phil expect an update in the next 24 hours.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 10:30:33 PM »
Not once but twice!! >:(

Er, what colour boat? (Scotland coughed up, although admittedly post- rather than pre- yottin)

iain_christie

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 11:23:59 PM »
Guys

Sorry to say this but the Draycote blast is off.

No room for us and the niners apparently.

Sorry...hopefully we can go back another time...

Iain