Author Topic: Central control lines  (Read 2611 times)

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Central control lines
« on: February 16, 2023, 08:08:23 AM »
I want to be able to adjust the kicker and Cunningham from out on the wire.
Roland has been developing a way to do this and I like the idea.
What I'm thinking of is a central jib tower with the kicker and Cunningham controls off that.
The lines would be spliced to the jib sheet.
This would  allow me to adjust from the wire.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this and how I could achieve it?

Offline deefender1098

• Alex Harris
  • Committee
  • Wanabe Guru
Re: Central control lines
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »
i think fireballs may have had a system that allowed their front deck mounted mainsheet to have a kicker beneath it, integrating 3 ropes going down would inevitably loose the ability to sheet from any angle in the boat but as long as you can sheet from the 180 degrees side to side and round the back then thats the angles youre going to need to adjust it from as if youre at the front of the boat then youre going to be hunting for max power anyway....

it would mean making a very custom version of this.... or maybe two versions. one with jib/kicker and the other with cunningham/t foil?

https://www.pinbax.com/harken-mainsheet-jammer-with-kicker-cleat-p1329

in my oppinion having its probably not worth it as pretty much anywhere it's acessible and useable from the necessary places also makes it a potential trip hazard and by the time you have made enough rope at the end to make it usable from wire youve probably got to spend a while swimming through rope before you make the adjustment, all that being said please take this opportunity to show how wrong i am  ;) 

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 08:49:49 AM »
ZG has a central cleat thing behind the mast on the crew deck area. I’ll try and find the photo….

Although I like the idea, I still think a decent crew should be able to squat and adjust the controls quicker and easier than a helm can get the main sheet tail and work their way up it to the rope they want. Even if the helm has to take the main sheet.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 02:02:34 PM »
got to say that whilst i like the idea of the helm doing something  ;) its definitely easier for the crew to do with the control lines split either side on the front rack beam
If in doubt flat out

Offline OliverM

• Class Secretary & Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Newb
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 07:08:46 PM »
Could chocked swivel Spinlock cleats help?
I’m guessing you can grab the rope and pull it but re-cleating it may be an issue.
Image for those less familiar with Eleanor’s deck.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 06:49:02 AM »
Could chocked swivel Spinlock cleats help?
I’m guessing you can grab the rope and pull it but re-cleating it may be an issue.
Image for those less familiar with Eleanor’s deck.
Currently thinking of 2 ronstan swivel cleats on a turret with th jib jammer on top

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Offline MonacoCherub

• Class member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 05:16:26 PM »
We had 4 Allen Swivel cleats on the mast this year. Kicker, cunno, T foil and Jib.

Pro's
-Crew or helm can adjust either from the wire, accessed by the end of the main (sucked forward and tidied by elastic)
-Pulling more on, the cleats auto cleat around the kicker when on port (conventional diagonal strop, means the ropes have to pass around it)
-Letting off is actually very easy (you move your hand further up and the rope slides up the kicker and uncleats)
- NO FRICTION - what you pull is what goes into the kicker etc
- Eyes always forward and out of the boat.

Cons
- If helm adjusts jib when crew is comatosed in bottom of boat, then decapitation is possible

Will post some photos next week - when I hope Rossa is on the water again