Linked Events

• Thornbury Sailing Club Regatta: July 26, 2008 - July 27, 2008

Author Topic: Thornbury Sailing Club Regatta  (Read 18308 times)

mathew_harris

Re: Thornbury Sailing Club Regatta
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
Cool, six boats isn't a bad turnout.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 12:18:59 PM »
Matt, 
I know you are travelling the furthest.  Do you want to come down on Friday evening?

mathew_harris

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »
thanks for the offer but i'm not that organised, think i'm going to spend friday night packing everything up.  what times the first race / people planning on getting there?

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »
First race is 12:10 on Saturday.

The gate will be closed but unlocked on Friday afternoon onwards and you can camp down at the club.

If you get there early enough on the Friday the Anchor serves great food and ale.

If you are camping I'd suggest that you drive up over the bank (between the clubhouse and boatshed) turn left onto the bank and follow the track. Marquee should be on the right so pitch your tents on the bank beyond the marquee or on the left of the track.

See you donw there

Paul Craig
TSC Sailing Sec.
RS700 844

mathew_harris

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 11:49:16 PM »
Just got back and realised i'm proper sunburned, oh well aftersun and a night trying not to sleep on any burnt skin.  Great weekends sailing too.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »
me too.  Burnt in all the places i forgot to put sun cream on.  I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend. The new sails look good and you appeared to be going well in the conditions.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »
Completely excellent weekend on the temporary water of westbury sc. What a club! What a welcome! We'll be back.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 01:44:47 PM »
In the meantime the venerable Queenie SJB had one of her occasional outings, racing on the River Thames at Surbiton... This is not obviously a Cherub venue, but it is the nearest sailng club to where I live, so good to give them an entry... On Saturday the wind peaked at two knots (occasionally), she's not self draining, leaks through the transom flaps, the windward and leeward marks were about quarter of a mile apart, and the current was with the wind... Funnily enough it was sort of enjoyable in a perverse sort of way, but in the conditions getting lapped by a current spec National 12 was unsuprising... On Sunday it was even lighter, and even the Thames Raters couldn't sail!

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
Hi Jim,

If we do the transportation, do you fancy bringing SJB to the Nats? I'd love to see the wingmast in use!

W

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Result from TSC Regatta

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 06:35:40 PM »
Ok,

So finally managed to get the results to attach to an email, phewww !!!

Anyway having had a chat with Will over the weekend, I have posted the results to help you identify the correct PY number to sail on by using the RYA specimen race method.

930 seemed to work well for "Antidote to Panel Games" but I think the Ellway 5 is a bit of a step change in performance terms.

It is true that Will & Lucy overtook me down a tight reach to beat me on the second race of Saturday, but I was stuck in the displacement / planing transition whereas they wound on 4deg of T-foil and lifted off and left me. Upwind I definately had the edge, I pointed higher and was faster, downwind in lightish breezes I couldnt carry the kite high enough to get up on the plane so it paid to soak in the 700 but for you guys a 12ft boat just wont soak so you had to sail much further but your flatter kites allow you to build up the apparent from higher.

Anyway a great weekend with really close racing, as you will see I only beat Will & Lucy by 5secs in the  final race. It was a pleasure meeting you all and from what I have seen you definately dont deserve the reputation you've got from the Y&Y forum. I hope you all enjoyed the weekend and we look forward to seing you at TSC soon.

Cheers

Paul
RS700 844
TSC Sailing Sec.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 07:14:23 PM »
It just goes to show that you are better off believing the opposite of what you read on the Y+Y forum.

You forgot to mention the Albacore that pasted us both on the water by passinging us on that close reach going at infinty knots or even faster.

mathew_harris

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »
Interesting to see in the results that antidote was actually very well balanced racing off 930, the only times that there was a large variance was when there was something to explain it, starts etc. Good job we were there balancing them off with some gentlemens 1500s,  ;D

While i remember did anyone notice any cameras around at the weekend?  Would be good to get some photos on the site.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:42:33 PM by Matt Harris »

AdrianM

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »
"You forgot to mention the Albacore that pasted us both on the water by passinging us on that close reach going at infinty knots or even faster."

You were pasted by an Albacore :o - you sure about how quick you were both going?

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 09:47:34 PM »
But dont forget Albacores can do 30kts  ;D