Linked Events

• Sunderland YC: July 19, 2008 - July 20, 2008

Author Topic: Sunderland YC  (Read 14011 times)

Offline neal_gibson

• Apprentice Guru
  • sending it
    • Storrar Marine
Re: Sunderland YC
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 06:53:13 PM »
latest forecast is looking good 20 knots saturday and 18,knots for sunday
2644 Suicide Blonde

The Northern ONE
Resident Sailmaker

Damage count so far this season
1) RS Feva mast easy
2) Cherub Main Fixed
3) VW BORA Gone forever bugger
4) One cherub boom Debi does ass damage fixed now.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 10:52:41 AM »
We are probably arriving friday night, is there going to be anyone about to point us towards the camping?

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 11:40:50 PM »
Sounds MEGA!!!

Loving the mid-event report.

Congratulations to all and better luck for tomorrow.

mathew_harris

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 11:53:05 PM »
Sadly with a forecast of F6-8 racing was cancelled again, watching the waves spraying over the harbour wall (20-30ft high) this was possibly a good idea.  Was a great weekend, thanks to Sunderland for an amazing hour or so of blasting yesterday found some new gears in dreams which was a great feeling.

roland_trim

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:51 AM »
PENNANCE FOR STAYING AT HOME
Born Slippy was nearly made an ex boat on Saturday.

We were asked to do a sandwich duty at the club (lunch for 175 people), but at midday they said we could go sailing. So I rushed rigging and left H to make 200 cups of tea. I managed to mis-rig almost every rope in the boat. Imagine pulling in the jib via returns in the cunno or playing a main with two twists in it whilst in an on/off gusting 5. We swam alot, on every dunking we re-rigged something else that was wrong. After we though we had sorted everything out went for a hoist.

As the kite made it's way up the mast the boat sprang sweetly onto the plane and grins returned to a tired crew. Then it became evident I'd rigged the halliard under the spreader, the kite bagged, dragged and we think we pitch poled. Whilst inverted we drifted into a row of moored boats, on popping up we had to invert again as there was no room to sail out. When we got upright the wind shifted and after failing to bear away we got caught in another boat and had to be freed with use of a knife and a one handed chin up. From then on we had one tiller extension, no helm traps and 3 miles vs wind and tide to get home against.

With Hayley flat on the wire and a bit of main we actually went up hill fairly well, but as the wind got stronger we started to capsize after every second tack. After being blown over with H on wire and jib and main flogging I tried steer with my feet with no success and eventually the rescue boat asked us to put in on Hoo island - there were 3 boats without masts and too much swimming for them to cover us as well.

Hoo island is an unpopulated muddy marsh wasteland and I’m not a fan of it. On our way to shore we hit a rip tide and got washed onto one of the groin barges, these are old transport barges sunk at the end of the island to make a harbour. I ended up with my shoulders on Slippy’s hull, feet on the barge whuilst H held the end of the mast with her buoyancy aid keeping it and her out of the mud. The wind and tide did their best to mate Slippy and the barge. Along the water line there were 5 inch steel spikes where the fendering used to attach, I think cut the end off my finger on one of these. The barnacles on the barge made shreds of my wet boots, and worse of my hands. If the hull had been washed on it would have worked like 5 grit sand paper and pressure and waves would have ripped her to shreds. After what felt like an eternity I managed to walk along to the bow of the barge and pull Slippy Free.

In the shelter of the barge there was no wind or tide, so we de-rigged lashed the mast to the deck and watched the carnage, the highlight was a laser 3000 that broke it’s forestay infront of us - one minute sailing, next minute trawling. Two hours later we were towed back to civilisation, by a knackered  but truly excellent rescue crew. The only casualty was the new tailpipes, both damaged on bow of barge, the B&Q insulation foam failed in shear. H and I are bruised and I’m a little sliced up.

After a night of medicinal tequila we spent Sunday morning re-rigging, moving stiffly and washing the blood off the decks. In the afternoon we headed out in a fun 3-4 for a quick spin down river. Sailed for an hour, had a screaming kite run and decided to stop before our arms fell off.

Agony and ecstasy some say, this weekend was more agony really.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 01:10:44 PM »
The feats of seamanship are impressive.  I am glad you all got home safe with most of the boats unscathed. I hope this doesn't depleatethe fleet for Thornbury to much.

Our penance was served by sailing the pursuit race at Thornbury.  Just to get to know our club waters a bit more.  The wind was 10-20 knots. It was also Sarah's first time back in the boat since Bala. (Not through fear but because she was busy becoming first lady at the Byte C2 inlands last weekend, 4th overal)   Being a pursuit race we felt that we could follow the other boats round most of the course. The plan failed when the leading comet decoyed all but two boats off to the wrong mark and we didn't have the conviction to buck the trend and sail the correct course.  Due to a wind shift one broad reach become a beam reach and we found ourselves twin wiring.  The pole held fine but we got overpowered and had to drop the kite.   We were pleased that our team work has not dulled and we slowly pulled all the boats in appart from those who had sailed the correct course. We rounded a leeward mark inside a flying fifteen to get 3rd place.

Sarah's Dad had come down to get some pictures and video.  I got the approach to the slipway wrong and realised that we can't tack with the board raised so asked sarah to lift it completely.  I then realised we can't tack with no board at all.  The boat capsized us on to the slip way straight in front of Sarah's parents.  Doh!  Lapse of concentration.

Debi

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »
Thought I would add to the pennance for staying at home aspect...

Hoppy and myself had a mental sail at Carsington in The Bom, I was helming, which was a bit of a baptism of fire, specially when it reached a nice shifty force 6!

This resulted in:

1 broken rack
1 broken hoppy
1 bruised debi
and a few evenings of repairs to do this week.

Grins all round though  ;D and i cant wait to be at the back of the boat again this weekend (hoppy, the mad fool, seems to think it goes well with me at the stick!! eek!!)

Offline neal_gibson

• Apprentice Guru
  • sending it
    • Storrar Marine
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 08:20:32 PM »
i would like add that all damage and penance how so ever cause beared no realation to none attendance at sunderland lol.

on a more serious note the RNLI thanked the club and the cherub fleet for there generous donation on sunday.
2644 Suicide Blonde

The Northern ONE
Resident Sailmaker

Damage count so far this season
1) RS Feva mast easy
2) Cherub Main Fixed
3) VW BORA Gone forever bugger
4) One cherub boom Debi does ass damage fixed now.