Author Topic: Trapezing and General Cherub Sailing  (Read 14301 times)

mathew_harris

Trapezing and General Cherub Sailing
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »
Seeing as we have a few doctors and numerous people who will have broken bits of themselves over there time doing sports i'm after a bit of advice.

I had surgery just before christmas on a fully ruptured cruciate ligament (anterior i think), i'm not looking to do any active sports till the bala whit regatta at the end of may.  I'm just currently wondering what stresses i am putting on my legs through trapezing and general sailing, and more importantly what exercises i can do to help build up the appropriate muscles.  I've spoken with my physios who have given me some general hints but they are used to rugby and football players rather than sailors.  I'm currently doing 30mins of cycling, 20 mins of running and 20 mins on a cross-trainer (girly i know but its low impact so good for getting the heart going without loading up the knee too much). 

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Trapezing and General Cherub Sailing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 11:05:26 AM »
My advice to you is that any advice you get on an internet forum about your health should be ignored.

I really mean this. The people who have advised you face to face have years of training and experience backing them up. You know nothing at all about the qualifications and experience of people on the internet, only that they are so ignorant that they think it's approprite to advise someone about their health on the internet!

Alternatively you could try magnet therapy: It really helped my goldfish get over his dyslexia: It's so good I have no hesitation in recommending it for your knee.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
Re: Trapezing and General Cherub Sailing
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:58:15 PM »
I wonder if the RYA could provide any assistance for your medics?  If their medics who know about sailing could be put in touch with your medics who know the exact state of your limb...