Author Topic: Went sailing today at Carsington  (Read 15698 times)

Offline Stuart Hopson

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
Went sailing today at Carsington
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:39:08 PM »
Had an epic sail at carsington today in Atum Bom with Noycey. Hit a max speed of 17.4knts on a very very bumpy flat water run (must have had the bow 5 ft above the water a few times) should have used more T foil. Went like an absolute train upwind, hope someone took some photo's. I'll upload a gps track later in the week. A very good day on the water. ;D

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Went sailing today at Carsington
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
I think I may well have ripped myself a man'gina in one spectacular wipeout.  :o Not sure what happened exactly, one minute we were caning, next i had the forestay rammed up my arse (through 5mm of steamer... hole to prove it) and through the jib. my bad Hops  :'(

The downwind ride with negative t-foil was really quite spectacular. The boat was literally leaping out of the water at somewhere in the region of 17 knots on what was essentially dead flat water! It looked at one point like there was a camera pointed at us so hopefully there will be some good daggerboard shots. The moral of the story is, if you have a t-foil... use it in positive! Neither of us were really in a position to change it at the time so we just rode it out!  8)

In the bar we were described as 'the lunatics in the cherub' and were encouraged to visit more often! Finally a club where the average sailor appreciates cherubbing!  ;D

I will now retire to bed to relieve my aches and pains... this hard seat I am sat on really isn't helping the situation!

Offline Stuart Hopson

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »
I think I may well have ripped myself a man'gina in one spectacular wipeout.  :o Not sure what happened exactly, one minute we were caning, next i had the forestay rammed up my arse (through 5mm of steamer... hole to prove it) and through the jib. my bad Hops  :'(

The downwind ride with negative t-foil was really quite spectacular. The boat was literally leaping out of the water at somewhere in the region of 17 knots on what was essentially dead flat water! It looked at one point like there was a camera pointed at us so hopefully there will be some good daggerboard shots. The moral of the story is, if you have a t-foil... use it in positive! Neither of us were really in a position to change it at the time so we just rode it out!  8)

In the bar we were described as 'the lunatics in the cherub' and were encouraged to visit more often! Finally a club where the average sailor appreciates cherubbing!  ;D

I will now retire to bed to relieve my aches and pains... this hard seat I am sat on really isn't helping the situation!

Just to clarify, he big wipeout was on a very smooth averge run.  :o The mental bouncy one  we rode the length of the lake just giggling like school girls.. and we stayed dry! 8)

Offline Eggbert

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »
i thought about going up to carsington on the sat but coulnt be bothered yo get up early so having got the boat fixed went up to my usual club.  There was noone therre but they were out at the youth base in the other corner.  A waferer and a sport 14 both with small sails on and about 5 up both plaining. I thought oh yes this will be awsome got the boat of the trailer and rigged up, all the while the wind got gustier nearly knocked me over a one point.  We decided to go out with just the two sails to start with and then think about putting the kite on ,as the wind wasntt in the perfect direction for a kite run too short. went out going like s**t of a shovel headed up wasnt even sheeted in full on either sail and we were planing up wind. yehaa! next thing i know 45 degree windshift crew disapperars and this is an allmightly crack and were turtuling fast. Bugger anyway we start to right the boat get it halyway and rea;lise that there is a foot diameter hole in the side double bugger so we headed in we were only out for about 10 mins. needless to say i was gutted and within half an hour the wind had shiffted round to much better andgle and wasabout a steady 4 withou the mental sqaulls and shits.  Oh well put ti back on the trailer an dbrought it home again.
2535  91 rules  "Eggbert the Nasty" for sale
2657  97 rules  "Slippery When Wet"

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 01:05:33 PM »
Sounds like you need a spare boat  ;)
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline Eggbert

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru