Linked Events

• Nationals 2008: August 27, 2008 - August 30, 2008

Author Topic: Cherub Nationals Pembrokshire Yacht Club  (Read 63404 times)

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Cherub Nationals Pembrokshire Yacht Club
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 09:07:27 AM »
This is my proposed course (this is like the Weston Grand Slam 2007):

1) You start between ODM and CB.
2) You leave WM to port.
3) You go between LM and ODM.
4) Repeat 2 and 3 until you get a hooter when you cross the line between LM and ODM.

This way there are few buoys to remember, you don't have to remember which lap you are on, there is choice of leeward mark, everyone finishes near where the start will be, and there are downwind finishes.

WM

ODM------------LM------------CB

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
And we'll be there with Fluffy too.

look out for ginger girls - that boat has some sort of attraction for them!

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »
I'm not going to make it.

It's a complex equation that can be expressed like this -  the American sub-prime mortgage market + boat builders + trailer manufactures + Oppy opens! + scum bag pikey robbers = no national attendance for me!

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »
More errata from these (very provisional) NORs and SIs!

Races: 0-4 = no discards
5+ = one discard.

These documents are still up for discussion, so if you think the event could be improved by any changes, (or you see any errors of course) please post here.

Debi

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 08:07:42 PM »
discard after 3 races
2 after 6?!

just an idea, means more likely to get a decent series in...

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 08:22:45 AM »
Yes I quite like this: It makes it slightly less of a war of attrition, but increases the risk of draws and countbacks etc etc.

0-3     = 0 discards.
4-6     = 1 discard.
7-9     = 2 discards.
10-12 = 3 discards.

Thanks to those who pointed out the errors, and to those who are demanding to know where the entry form is. Noycey assures me he is on the case, though he does have 4 racin weighfarers to finish this week.....

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 12:44:01 PM »
I would go for a leeward finish as you suggest Will.   With your leward gate concept the committee boat does want to be a litle way off the right hand mark in any kind of breeze so that those of uss out of control or below the lay line don't find it in our way. 

the Si's should also include a clause that no cherub may mate with the comittee boat.  A certain pink boat was found to be having a threesome with a moth and the C.B. at the Weston open before one start. ;D

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 12:51:11 PM »
One issue with the leeward finish and an unknown number of laps is that it is difficult to tell when you are about to finish.

going through for another lap you would want to drop but for a finish you would want to be full speed.
It is hard spotting flags when going down wind.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »
Will, I take it from the course diagram and description that the ODM is also a leward mark, and either can be rounded like a gate? Do we need to pre enter, or is it enter on the day?

roland_trim

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »
Do we need to pre enter, or is it enter on the day?

Entries either there or save £20 by entries before August starts. There is a link on the events page that has some information.

roland_trim

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »
It is hard spotting flags when going down wind.

Everyone is in the same boat at the top mark ** so spotting flags or not is fair.

I prefer that to the rib at the windward mark raising a "this is the last time you pass this mark"  shorten course flag. As it is a pain when they are fishing people out so you miss the flag.

Personally I like any course that I sail without having to count which lap I am on, so I'd support either this or the "go through a gate upwind" course.

The lack of gate in the one Will drew might allow a symetric boat to give us all a scare and Slippery WW a chance to show us how effective soaking low with the assymetic can be (as shown Weston whilst the rest of us were using our kites as fishing nets after wiping out in flying gybes). Maximum respect for the handling skills either of these options require.

** Lacking self restraint or sense of humour.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 06:27:46 PM »
Noycey promises us an entry form very soon.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 07:04:33 AM »
I agree with Phil that it must be a windward finish.
Leeward finish disapointment for someone. Afterall Cherubs are about hanging on at high speed not flag watching and rule book studying.
The only difficulty I can see is with the group finish when you have boats dropping kites spinning to windward and finishing all in one easy motion. Ideal rafting opertunities and a little confusing for the comitee.
Having said that it does solve the problem of last year when the ODM became a wing mark and for Shiny that was just to tight a reach

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 08:02:12 AM »
At the Weston open in 2007 this system was very much liked. Pros and cons:

Pros:

* Keeps the fleet together - so shorter gap between races.
  * Downwind finishes are exciting and a good photo opportunity.
  * Fewer buoys means shorter gaps between races (if the buoys need to be moved or whatever).
  * Two leeward marks eases leeward mark woes.
  * CB off course and far from finish means less chance of CB woes.
  * No gate half way up the beat means more upwind flexibility and no trouble having to miss
  * the gate downwind.
  * Innovative (very Cherub)
  * If you mix up the number of laps you'll still finish OK: You'll just have taken the kite down a bit soon. Compare that to side-finish systems like at Weymouth Regatta and Carnac where if you get it wrong you merrily head off upwind while the boats behind zoom off on a reach to finish!

Cons:

* May have trouble seeing flags streaming away from you. (Fixed number of laps and loud 'shorten course' sound signal could help + this is not as serious as in some systems.)
  * Committee may have trouble seeing sail numbers. This is the traditional complaint about downwind finishes, but I don't think it applies these days as mainsails are pretty much on the centreline downwind.

A beat to finish basically either means two manned boats or a mid-beat gate: Two complications that I do not think are worth it. Wind shifts made missing the gate downwind difficult last year and caused disappointment for some.

I'd like to try this system because when we had an open with it last year it worked so well.

roland_trim

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 09:41:35 AM »
We could always test the course on the Monday before the Nats?

On this note have we asked the club about arriving early - we would like to pitch tent on Thursday night, but are wondering:
a) Is that OK with the club.
b) Can we sail from the club from Friday onwards.
b) Will there be cover on the days before the racing begins. If we provide our own rib drivers would that help (we are happy to cover a stint if this helps).  Although this is not a biggi it would be nice to know that we can get a lift back in if the mast decends and training video/pictures would be useful.

Am starting to get all excited - now just need to get the boat ready...