Author Topic: Lake Garda 2011  (Read 8902 times)

Offline chrislewns

• Newb
Lake Garda 2011
« on: July 07, 2010, 08:30:50 PM »
I was contacted by matt via the e-mail but I am unable to reply so I have posted my thoughts here. I have also spoken to Graham Bridle and I know he is keen.

'The northern end gets the most wind and is the most predicatble.  Riva will be out of the questionas it is the club with the most demand. Torbole is great as it is on the eastern side a bit south of Riva. The wind there is a little less as it does not funnel down the cliffs the way it does on the western side. The club at Torbole has grass to rig on and a concrete ramp that allows eay launching. Accomodation near by and the town for food etc. The Musto skiffs went to a club further south (Malcesine) on the same a couple of years ago and I did a Fireball event at Brenzone when God was still a teenager.

Generally the further away you are from Riva the lower the wind speeds, sailing is in the afternoon but I have also started races at 7.00am to finish a sereis.

It is a must venue in a life time, the drive is murder and my tip is to donate a car and a double trailer to someone else to take your boat down and then fly yourself.

It is an ideal place to sail a cherub. Count me in for sure'

Chris

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Lake Garda 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:51:26 PM »
I went to my sister-in-law's wedding in Malcesine on the East side of Lake Garda a couple of years ago. It is an epic place to sail. I had a look at the sailing club in Malcesine which appeared to be very nice, but there was a very serious lack of rigging space as far as I could see. I'm afraid I didn't get a chance to look at the other clubs.

The only actual sailing I managed was the champagne reception on board a 70ft ketch, after the wedding in a medieval castle on the top of a cliff !

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:50:54 AM »
That is an excellent photo Neil!

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »
I've only sailed at Riva, there is space to rig, launching is down a wide wooden slip which points into the thermal wind so you need to lauch whilst it is light.  As Chris said they are busy, however if they don't have an event (and they don't every week) they will let us sail there, they were very welcoming to us for the week after next when they have no event.  As to whether they would run racing for us I'm not sure.  I can find out as I'm there the week after next. 

Torbole may be the better bet, the wind isn't quite as feisty on the Eastern cliffs and apparently launching is easier than Riva.  We are going to pop over there whilst the SB3 worlds are on so I could investigate - perhaps we could join a general regatta for a few days combined with some blasting.  Torbole is right at the Northern end and does have a very windy patch by the town should you wish to test your Cherub - and getting to the Western cliffs is only a couple of minutes sail away.

We are sailing the Cherub at Riva the week after next, we intend to take some video so you can all get a taste of what it is like.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »
We are sailing the Cherub at Riva the week after next, we intend to take some video so you can all get a taste of what it is like.

What you really mean is "make the rest of you incredibly jealous!"

Offline MK

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »
So as you may have worked out from this thread I am in the infant stages of seeing if we could have a cherub 'world cup' at Garda next year, if anyone has any more info they want to share about their experiences and how they travelled, got boats there and accommodation etc please let me know, I will be contacting clubs to get an idea who would take us and under what format in the next few days

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:26:29 AM »
Ohhh, that Matt !!

Count me in, my vote is for Torbole if possible, call me old fashioned but I like rigging up on grass, in the sun,  amongst topless girls with a bar feet away. Yes, I like that a lot  ;D

Offline chrislewns

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:50:30 AM »
I forgot to mention topless girls! Must be getting old

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:46:48 AM »
Count me in, my vote is for Torbole if possible, call me old fashioned but I like rigging up on grass, in the sun,  amongst topless girls with a bar feet away. Yes, I like that a lot  ;D

We have a winner!!!!! Matt, sort it now!

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 05:51:41 PM »
yes matt, sort it out!!!
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »
Here is an update from 2010

Been out here 5 days now and it just hasn't stopped blowing.  Upto 30knts most days and comming in at 12 and staying until evening.  Has made cherub sailing a bit exciting but so far we and the boat are surviving.  Done some major wipeouts and pitchpoles.  Top speed of 22knts.  We can only take about 1.5 - 2 hours cherub sailing, then out in the 200 to watch the SB3 worlds.  Some great carnage there - as well as an unlimited supply of free beer once ashore which is good.  Suspect we won't get that next week at the RS event.

We tested the landing and launching at Torbole yesterday as we got caught out in the cherub as the wind built upto 30plus knts very quickly.  Landing is easy, nice beach with rubber crash matts.  Full of windsurfers.  Launching a bit more tricky as the matts are slippery and don't quite go deep enough to be able to pin down the rudder.  At the end of the matts is a drop off.  Solution is just to swim the boat out a few meters and right it.  The lifeguard is very pretty and helpful, the german windsurfers downright ugly and didn't lift a finger to help us in or out of the water.

Already blowing hard today, going out in the 200 now and perhaps the cherub later if it dies off a bit.  We have some headcam footage which I'll post when we are back.

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 11:16:16 AM »
sounds awesome!!!!!
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
Any photos?

Of the sailing, the area and the pretty lifeguard?

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »
but in order of priority... life guard, sailing and then area  ;)

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 02:27:44 PM »
I can offer these photos of the SB3 worlds currently being held in Torbole.

Of course, they dont roll on the grass to rig, so they are missing the real trick, but I think it shows you the view pretty good !

You will see reference in this thread to Moby Dicks bar and some drinks with dubious names .... I forgot to mention those !

http://www.sailbrightlingsea.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=546