Author Topic: Finding Cherub Crew..  (Read 13286 times)

chris bridges

Finding Cherub Crew..
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:53:20 PM »
Hi,

I am thinking about selling my boat (49er), and buying GT60/Ronin.  However one of the things i struggled with the 49er is finding a helm/crew (although I do have one now. . ).  Any idea if it will be easier finding crew for a Cherub? I sail at Rutland SC. .

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Finding Cherub Crew..
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
Well Cherub crewing is a lot less physically demanding than a 49er, and is a lot less likely to hurt you.

Also, Cherubby goodness really keeps people!

I would expect you to have an easier time finding a crew for a cherub than a 49er - especially the second time out!

roland_trim

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 06:45:21 PM »
My experience is that previous guest crews keep in touch to see if Hayley is thinking of taking a weekend off (and I'm one of the worse helms in the fleet).

Ronin is very well sorted package - see other posts on the forum about "bimbling" and other general goodness with her Hydes. Hope to see you around?

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:52:07 PM »
Why not give Pete a ring, maybe he could bring Ronin to the try a cherub day, then you could see for yourself what a great class this is, and what a great boat Ronin is.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
there are a number of crews in the class of a smaller lighter stature than average who cope very well and are just as competitive.  The loads are lower than for heavier skiffs.

There are also some junior crews in the class so the range of posibilities are imense.

I think you will be fighting the topper/420/radial sqaud sailors off before to long.

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:26:54 PM »
dont forget 29er squad sailers!
quite alot at cheese's home club wasnt a go!
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime

Offline peter_barton

• Apprentice Guru
    • www.skifftastic.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »
...and if you do go for it dont forget to add me to your possible helm/crew list, Chris.
I would like to stay involved with the class and would enjoy being invited back occasionally.

Peter

chris bridges

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:17 PM »
Quote from: phil_kirk link=topic=620. msg6678#msg6678 date=1265890645
there are a number of crews in the class of a smaller lighter stature than average who cope very well and are just as competitive.   The loads are lower than for heavier skiffs.

There are also some junior crews in the class so the range of posibilities are imense.

I think you will be fighting the topper/420/radial sqaud sailors off before to long. 

This is pretty useful since I am on the heavier side for the boat. . !

Thanks, solves that one! Now I just need to go about getting some money together! Anyone fancy a 49er!? ;)

Chris

Offline paul_croote

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »
Chris

Go for it, Ronin is a very comptetive no fiddling required boat, hope to see you on the water soon.

Paul

Offline john_hamilton

• Guru's Guru
  • cherubing is a word
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 02:50:18 PM »
any news on the ronin front?
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail

cherub 2645 - cheese before bedtime