Author Topic: Dubai to Muscat Race  (Read 17215 times)

doug1720

Dubai to Muscat Race
« on: November 14, 2009, 02:30:34 AM »
Hi, I wanted to mention this as off sailing on a yacht in a couple of weeks time.

About 300 miles and difficult weather as usually pretty light as you sail through the straights of hormuz.  Also a lot of shipping traffic and strong tides.  Should be fun!

Link to web site is http://dosc.squarespace.com/muscat/

Sailing on an SJ 32 called Rush Knot, pic attached.

Doug

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Dubai to Muscat Race
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 11:41:08 PM »
I saw an interesting yot race on Sky Sports the other night, from down your way. It was a fleet of Arab dhows racing in open water, with the finish line near Palm Island. Full helicopter TV coverage and the whole lot. Looked interesting.

doug1720

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 03:50:48 PM »
They race 20', 30' and 40'.  Pretty impressive.  Professional crews that all share in the prize money.  Only Emirates or perhaps GCC nationals can sail as part of their cultural heritage.  Only downwind, each of the boats has a big tender to take it to the start.  Fantastic to watch.  These pics I took myself as we took a look at the fleet sailing past.  We are at the end of the palm jumeirah and you can see the new Altantis hotel in the background.  The money they give out as prize money is more than the AC!

Doug

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:07:40 PM »
Wow, that's a pretty amazing event!

From what I saw on the telly, gybing those boats is quite an exercise. Don't they float the sail right over the top of the gaff or something?

doug1720

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »
Yes, it is pretty amazing to see.  I have a photo of a dhow mid gybe. 

Doug

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
I thought Allah looked after health and Safety but it appears that some are wearing life jackets.

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »
I thought Allah looked after health and Safety but it appears that some are wearing life jackets.
I believe there's an Arabic proverb on the lines of "trust in God *and* tie your camel up".

But they are wonderful things the racing Dhows. I especially like it that they see no need to spaned most of their day going upwind. After all a working seaman would always regarded having to go upwind as being a mark of poor planning or at best bad luck.

doug1720

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 11:19:21 AM »
Well the race starts tomorrow!  Light winds predicted for two days (i.e. less than 5 knts) and so will not be much fun.  After rounding the Musandam looks like 15knts or so in the indian ocean.  Hope to make it for Monday!

I will find the link for the yacht tracker transponder and put it online so you can see us drifting!

Doug

doug1720

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »
If you want to watch progress, or lack of it, go to

http://dosc.squarespace.com/muscat-tracker/

Yacht is Rush Knot

If you want to make a donation it is:

www.justgiving.com/lymington-mobros

Thanks,

Doug

doug1720

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 05:23:32 PM »
Well, the race finished for us on Monday morning. Very light conditions with wind shutting down at night. Very spectacular views through the tip of Oman (Musandam) and we took the short cut through the tip at night.  Good fun.

Unfortunate that Bahrain yacht got caught on the way to the start.  We had to tack in the night to stay outside their waters.  Saw plenty of smuggling fast speed boats on their way from and too Iran.

Raised some money for charity and so happy with that. ;D

Doug

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing. It is amazing to lern more about these kind of events.