Author Topic: Argument Clinic (Formerly Scumbag)  (Read 12206 times)

Dave_Fudge

Argument Clinic (Formerly Scumbag)
« on: July 01, 2009, 10:41:58 PM »
We've done it!!! We've made the front page!!
We really must put some phots up to show the people at home just how happy we are to own this new pleasuring device......no, that's not a name the we could legally use for her.  :o
Greg is still actively designing a new Oppie collecting device for the bow but maybe we should work on converting the littl' fellas into budding Cherub sailors, Master Wilkinson???
Stuff the Governments idea of building two new Aircraft Carriers, for that money just imagine how many Cherubs you could get, stick it on the National Curriculum and, 'Hey Presto' no more delinquents and kids would be getting Adrenalin Highs sailing rather than mildly gased behind the bike sheds.
I think I'm going to vote for the 'Cherub Party' next election!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:43:59 PM by Dave_Fudge »

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
Re: Argument Clinic (Formerly Scumbag)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »
You went sailing Wednesday evening then.... ;D

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:13:55 AM »
"Twelve-foot pleasuring device" - Entry for the bumper sticker thread!

Lads: What is your nationals status? In the past various people have been called upon to say 'Yes we are sensible' and 'No there will be no ram-raiding' and 'Cherubbing is very wholesome' etc. If any of that is required we can provide. If one or more of your parents would like to come along and see what does go on/look after you/etc  (and find themselves involved in the beach olympics and other silly activities - and possibly get some sailing in), they would be v welcome and would not be the first. Transgenerational cherub-based jollity is the norm, really. There's always space on committee boats etc for people who would rather watch.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »
I think if the government decided to cut the two carriers and do something else with the money they would unfortunately be unlikely to build a large fleet of Cherubs.

It would be quite a noticeable change to the contract and the fleet of cherubs may not be able to support the next generation of aircraft (in every way). 
I suspect the captain would suspect something was amiss on the maiden voyage when his carrier, painted a range of vivid colours, kept getting very wet.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »
Memory .....memory........

This from Jan 2005 Cherub News Page:

Cherub Police Liaison effort partial success!

"They can't take away my dignity", claims upbeat Andy.

13th Jan 2005

Andy Lang (Flying Trifle 2654 Norfolk In Chance) was out sailing his beloved and bullet-proof Cherub today (skiver!). He ragged around Plymouth Sound without a care in the World, flying past frigates, dodging destroyers, and generally having an excellent time.

Little did he know that his antics were being observed very closely indeed. As they say, "The Price of Freedom is Constant Vigilance", and our protectors were, to their credit, vigilant. Could that be an incoming Tomahawk missle coming their way from the Hoe? Might those innocent-seeming fresh faced university types have been recently recruited by some sinister secret organisation using brightly coloured home-built composite sailing boats as weapons of such power that a battleship has anything to worry about? No way, but it did provide and excuse for the following:

From the enormous RIB that roared out of nowhere: "You have entered a restricted area! Stop sailing and take down your sails!"

I don't know the details of how the Policemen in the RIB were enlightened about the many advantages that having no halyards holds for the sailor of high-performance sailing boats, but I suppose they were. I do know that they took Andy's name and address before noisily disappearing leaving nothing but a cloud of smelly smoke behind them.

Who knows? Perhaps they did that so they could ask him for a test sail?

http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/uknews2004.htm is the link.

Dave_Fudge

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:06:48 AM »
Cherub Crew Electricuted whilst rigging!!!!!
You're gonna' love this one: Greg and I were rigging Argument at the club when Greg got a massive electric shock off the forestay, so much so that it left a burn mark. I told him to 'man up' and as we continued I started getting electric shocks off the boat as well. Was this the secret to Graham B's success, a secret Nuclear Reactor to give electromotive power when the wind drops?
No, we looked above our heads to see umpty-ump thousand volts surging through the electricity pylon!!!!!
Humidity high?
Carbon Mast?
Power Lines?
Not a good combination - although maybe we could charge up the car battery by connecting the light board up with mast up!
It's not just the boat handling skills we're having to work at.

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »
Dear God, really?! That's not funny... OK so I lied, it is.  ;D Thank God my Mirror's got a wooded gaff. This is indeed  another possible excuse for PBO rigging. I will bing a florescent tube next damp day and see if I can get it to light
up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuOBMKuUAyo
http://hacknmod.com/hack/field-of-fluorescent-tubes-powered-by-ambient-current/

Dave_Fudge

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »
I never realised Cherubs sing!!!! Got her well and truely planing upwind yesterday, hit the sweet spot and then she just let rip with an awesome song.
We still haven't got the tack quite right: plenty of jib on to get us round, slacken the main ready to power her up but we seem to be doing a bit of a port/starboard dance to keep her balanced. Are we doing it right?
Once again Argument was the last boat out on the lake (5 hours of solid practice). Went over and stuck the mast in the bottom, unfortunately we were having so much fun trying to right her we didn't realise we'd been at it twenty minutes. A Committee Member had had to put down his pint down, get some petrol for the rescue boat by which time we'd nearly died laughing and had got her upright. We sheepishly returned.
Every bit of me aches now - you can't buy this much fun - oh....yes you can....you just buy a Cherub! ;D ;D ;D

Not looking good for the Nationals unfortunately, Greg doesn't get back from Overseas until half way through at least.

roland_trim

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 07:44:18 AM »
Ask around. There will almost certainly be a willing crew/helm to step in for a day or two. A nationals "nationals crews/helm - lost and found" list on the forum would be a grand idea.

In 06 I had the pleasure of a lesson from little T - the look on his face as his novice helm bounced off the back of the trifle will stay with me for years...