Author Topic: Whitstable files  (Read 53404 times)

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Whitstable files
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »
This weekend we plan to be there, but probably not to sail as Lucy is v ill and on call tomorrow. The 16th is the day after two of my friends (both named Jo!) are getting married. We plan to be there!

This is not the first name matched wedding I have been to - Sam and Sam Kyeremetang were hitched not so long ago!

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
Nice to see some interest in this thread, justly deserved, we had a first class blast at Whitstable a few weeks ago, cant praise the clubs attitude highly enough and it has good launching facilities, and excellent stretch of salty water and an excellent bar.  40 minutes from the M25 and about the same from Le tunnel sous la Manche; quite well located for anyone eastish too.

Were we to be lucky enough to be invited on the 16th, whats the start time, anyone know ?

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 12:46:08 PM »
http://www.wyc.org.uk/flattened/racing_schedule.html

14h00 is the start time. See you there!

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 08:30:18 PM »
I spoke to Mel (club manager) today . Cherubs welcome as long as they are signed in by existing members.
See you on sunday! Roland and Hayley how are you fixed this weekend ?

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 08:44:20 PM »
I would love to come down this Sunday! Will anyone take me out for a blast?
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »
I'm sure we could find a space Ross. Hopefully we will have Loco's new sails as well.
suicide will be there from the 16th onwards hopefully, just need a ready and willing crew
Does this mean suicide is joining Whitstable?

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 06:59:15 AM »
We're planning to be there Sunday 16th, will be a rush as Ed is playing football till about 12 an hour away but we should scrape it.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 11:00:34 AM »
I'll be there to double-team a sexy blonde with Mr Gibson.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
Attention mother ewes, mother sows, mother dogs, mother goats, mother camels, mother geese, mother ducks, mother hens in Whitstable!

Lock up your daughters!

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »
Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen you post...

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »
'The tinner/gibson effect'

Scientifically unproven of course

Offline neal_gibson

• Apprentice Guru
  • sending it
    • Storrar Marine
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »
suicides had some love bit of tweaking ready for action under two hardcore italian bistro lovers.

how much is membership for the winter then simon??
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:22:16 PM by neal_gibson »
2644 Suicide Blonde

The Northern ONE
Resident Sailmaker

Damage count so far this season
1) RS Feva mast easy
2) Cherub Main Fixed
3) VW BORA Gone forever bugger
4) One cherub boom Debi does ass damage fixed now.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 08:41:27 PM »
Thank you for inviting me and having me as your guest. I enjoyed myself hugely.

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »
No problem - great to have everyone there.

(Stu and Neal were signed in by us (risky!) and Graham and Eddie were signed in by the Locoists)

Racing report:

Rain, not much wind, and poor visibility greeted us at Whitstable on Sun 16th Nove 2008. However it soon cleared up and a Northerly force 3 set in. The start was an all-in handicap affair with tornados and mirors sharing the line with 4 cherubs and a similar number of Musto Skiffs and a 29er.

It was a running start with a foul tide inshore and a fair tide offshore. Cherubs went for hanging back and then engaging the warp drive. At the bottom this tactic had worked as in front of Antidote were one musto skiff and two cats only, with the assembled multitudes of all sorts behind busy being slowed down by each other. Loco tipped it in while dodging a Laser 2000 (if your are reading this, L2000 sailors, they are v sorry), and two mustos acheived synchonised swimmability on the gybe. Suicide also swam on this leg but I don't know the details.

There was then a beat with decisions to make: Offshore for worse sea but more breeze or inshore among the windjammers (cats) with windbends around the shore too (possibly). We chose to stick reasonably close to Simon Reynolds as he knows his onions. Another stbd rounding onto a short white-water-reach to a bear-away buoy at the top of the run again completed the lap. There were 3 or four laps-  I don't remember, sorry!

Each lap the breeze would go down a bit, but Antidote would act with honours, pointing a bit lower but outpacing the Musto uphill and downhill going about the same speed but doing a lower angle in the fading breeze. The first white water reach (two sail reach) was seriously fast, the second one had moments of fastness, but the next one was when Simon cruised by to leeward, his longer hull and singlehander's lighter displacement carrying him fast past us. We didn't catch him again despite our best efforts.

Loco and Scumbag had an excellent battle all round the course with Loco coming out on top in the end. Suicide got round but I know no more.

Getting ashore after our post race blast in less wind (good) but more shoredump (bad) was a real study in how friendly the sailors at Whitstable are: As we wobbled, boardless and almost rudderless between the groynes we were met by two Musto sailors, one of whom we had never even met before, and the Locoists who caught the boat and (get this) gave us a hand lifting the boat out. We returned the favour by catching the Mustos as they came in. They were even accepting of us carrying their boats and putting them some of them on the wrong trolleys (sorry).

This is a very friendly club - and a very cherub friendly club too. This is a good thing because when I looked up I noticed there were tipped over cherubs filling the beach space in our groyne area, with Musto Skiff sailors pulling their boats through the gaps or derigging as if Cherubs were the most natural thing to find tipped over on the beach at your club.

After this it was packing up before the sun went down and before we all became human-icicle hybrids.

In the bar Simon Reynolds gave us a really useful debrief about each leg of the course - much appreciated!

Offline neal_gibson

• Apprentice Guru
  • sending it
    • Storrar Marine
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 06:41:51 PM »
thanks for an awesome sail, was good to get out in some breeze even though it dropped off...
we only capsized to christen the new sails... honest

hopefully get Gem's pics up in the next few days
2644 Suicide Blonde

The Northern ONE
Resident Sailmaker

Damage count so far this season
1) RS Feva mast easy
2) Cherub Main Fixed
3) VW BORA Gone forever bugger
4) One cherub boom Debi does ass damage fixed now.