Author Topic: Hello Everyone!  (Read 4387 times)

Offline robin_davies

• Class member
  • Newb
Hello Everyone!
« on: September 11, 2022, 06:12:55 PM »
Hello everyone, I’m new to the Cherub scene and the more I learn, the more I Iike!
I’ve just lost track of time reading old entries on this forum and I’m excited both by the knowledge and the friendly, supportive vibe you have.

I’m helping my 18yr old daughter Holly as she’s keen to transition from Laser Radial to something exhilarating. This is not a father&daughter campaign as she’ll be club racing with a friend of hers but perhaps I’ll get a few chances to sail together and share the thrill.

Very kind family members have let us take on their boat (2694) which has been under-used for a while. I would really appreciate any advice and recommendations on a few things:-
1.  A pro builder who could give her a makeover and remedy whatever is found or at least to make sure she’s watertight / structurally sound before the swimming begins!
2. Advice on what to look out for or possible developments that previous owners would have done if there was a makeover in the works (rigging/layout).
3. Advice on making a Daemon play nicely in the bigger seas off Anglesey (build tech or sailing skills).

I live in Hampshire but I’m happy to deliver the boat to anywhere in the country for the right team who can fit her in over the winter. I think she was put together by HartleyLaminates in Derby?

I hope that this will lead to some fleet events and the chance for Holly and me to meet you all in person.

Best wishes
Robin and Holly

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Hello Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 07:57:27 PM »
First off, Robin and Holly, welcome! Glad to have you along for the ride (I too have spent far too much time on this forum.)

The Badgers Nadgers! I’ve spent some time trying to track this Cherub down, I’m very glad to hear she’s still going as so was a very lost soul.
I shall poke Tim Noyce, he built her at Hartley boats years back and sailed her over the years!

Of your three questions, the only one I would advise on is not taking your boat to a pro boat fitter upper.. yet… I’m sure Roland will pipe up and also comment on sailing your boat in ‘shed mode’ learning what works and how not to put your hook though the hull, then adding some lovely fresh paint later.
Thanks
Jamie

Offline MonacoCherub

• Class member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 08:30:26 PM »

3. Advice on making a Daemon play nicely in the bigger seas off Anglesey (build tech or sailing skills).

For this -  I think the answer is "Sail it flat and as fast as you can."
But the real truth is that I learnt more going to an open event than hours on a reservoir or decades on a keyboard. Watching some other boats close up is invaluable, Would strongly suggest the pilgrimage to Sheppy or whatever folows

Offline MonacoCherub

• Class member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 08:36:49 PM »
If she is leaking or you are worried about the structure.

Talk to Tim (or me or Nick P). We have a few hours on baots made from this tooling. I have PMed you my number.

For a professional cosmetic job. There are many out there. The problem with making cherubs pretty is that people tend to sand through the structure or make them heavy (primer is like lead). I can't sing highly enough of Andy Whappers work on EJ and others recently. As he grew up tinkering with Cherubs, he has a head start. Andy P. is now retired, but worth contacting for work like that.

For leak finding, the karcher wet vac cleaner has an "air out" line. Anything that blows a similar quantity of air as a standard hoover sucks is pretty perfect for blowing into a bung. However, my bet from over a  thousand km away is that it will be:
a) The hatches
b) The bungs
c) A screw hole from a fitting that is no-longer there

Offline MonacoCherub

• Class member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 08:37:44 PM »
And in reverse order of how this should have been posted

Fantastic news. Welcome -  She is a good boat and it is very good news to hear she is sailing

Offline MonacoCherub

• Class member
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 08:40:31 PM »
Hmmm - technical error - I can't send PM's
If you like the class on facebook - I will try to stalk you with a phone number (or Ask Jamie to pass it)

Offline robin_davies

• Class member
  • Newb
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 09:34:08 PM »
Thank you both for the warm welcome and I really appreciate the advice. I’ll try to get to an event as soon as possible.

I haven’t actually picked her up yet as the road trailer isn’t safe  so I don’ know what state she’s in, when I have a better idea and I’m orientated I’d love to connect and talk things through.

When Holly is less distracted I’ll encourage her to intro herself also. Very excited to think what’s coming!

Thanks again
Robin & Holly

Offline jonny_harris

• Class member
  • Newb
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 05:30:15 PM »
Hello,
I currently live on Anglesey so anything I can help with please don’t hesitate to ask, weather is rigging sailing etc.

welcome to the class

Jonny

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 08:52:41 PM »
Hi Robin and Holly, welcome to the fleet.
As others have said, sail her now, then figure out how you like her. Where about in Hampshire are you? And where does the boat need collecting from? I'm on the Hampshire/Dorset border and sail from Stokes Bay so could potentially help with a lend of a trailer and/or having a look over the boat before you take her off to Anglesey.
Hope to see you soon.
Jimmy
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline robin_davies

• Class member
  • Newb
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 09:21:49 PM »
Thank you Jimmy, I live in Rotherwick (RG27). That’s really kind of you to offer, I have now recovered the boat and am cleaning her up, replacing bungs, fittings, hatch seals and testing the rig at tension as kindly advised. So far so good but I have so many question, I think I’d do well to drive her to an event where I can get input from everyone in one day.

@Jonny, thanks for saying hello. We plan to sail her in Anglesey next August. I look forward to meeting you and I’d love to learn from you…especially boat set-up and techniques for managing the waves.

I hope we can sail at a few events around the country in spring/summer ‘23. Very excited.

Robin & Holly

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2022, 08:17:45 PM »
No worries Robin, happy to help where we can. If you can, put some photos up with any questions, we are all happy to help. I'm sure there are plans afoot for winter activities but I'm based down at Stokes Bay and will be having a day or few doing jobs, if you've any weekends free let me know and you could bring the boat down and we can go through it all together.

Cheers
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline robin_davies

• Class member
  • Newb
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 08:32:58 AM »
Thanks Jimmy, I could drive her to Stokes Bay on Sat 29th Oct. If you are around that day I’d be so grateful for any advice.

Initial focus:-
-Make hull air-tight (I’m working on bungs, hatches and blocks with soggy wooden backing plates)
-How to fix loose sail track on mast.
-Apply full rig tension without breaking anything - see if anything breaks when done correctly!
-How to set up t-foil system.

Photos to follow. Should they go here or on separate threads in the technical section?

I may have other problems you’d spot that I’m blissfully unaware of!

Thanks
Robin
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 10:33:03 AM by robin_davies »

Offline Jimmy Rudd

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 01:43:10 PM »
Hi Robin, in principle 29th October is fine with me, lets keep an eye on the forecast, not much fun in pouring rain

Sail track, we can do, you'll need Plexus MA310 and a lot of electrical tape.
Rig Tension, do you have a boat breaker? And if you have a rig tension gauge bring that too, if not we can use mine. I have a long tape measure too.
T-foil, bring rope and we'll get it sorted.

I'll send you a message with my number, but provisionally I can be at Stokes for 10am onwards. Bring as much stuff and spares as you can and we'll see what we can do. I'll also see if I can grab an extra pair of hands or 2 to help, more fun that way.

As for any other issues, probably worth setting up a separate post in the technical section and keep adding to that.

Cheers
Jimmy
EJ 3206

Offline robin_davies

• Class member
  • Newb
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2022, 09:02:14 PM »
Badgers is back!

Tonight I drove her away from Stokes Bay SC waving goodbye to Jimmy, Oli and Emma, with Badgers on the back. She is transformed from a bare boat stripped and cleaned up after nearly a decade in a hedge, to a state more or less ready to race!

I can’t thank you guys enough. You gave up your Saturday and worked on the boat from 10:30 to 5:30! I feel so welcomed to the Cherub class, it’s something special and I think it’s a group I want to belong to. I look forward to introducing Holly and to see her first 3-sail grin!

Here are a few photos to capture the rebirth of Badgers!

Robin & Holly