Author Topic: wheelie bar for king tubby  (Read 3322 times)

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
wheelie bar for king tubby
« on: April 18, 2020, 05:00:37 PM »
with all this spare time on my hands I've been thinking about wheelie bars for king tubby

having looked at lots of pictures, boats with racks they seem to continue straight back parallel to the centreline of the boat. some of the older boats with wings the have a mix of straight and kinked inwards.

would anyone have any advice on whats best for a single wire boat.

i have modelled up in cad a quick mock up of wheelie bars continuing aft straight aft.
If in doubt flat out

roland_trim

Re: wheelie bar for king tubby
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 09:09:01 AM »
Imho there are lots of people who thought it helped to angle Ias the pull forward off the trap was sucking them to the mast. It's hownitnlooks as much as anything.

For Born slippy we went straight as structurally it worked easiest. With the T-foil off and her back to smaller sails - we cut the bars down to about 200mm.

Would strongly suggest the design includes for a toe loop and pulling against it alot. In videos of Mr Croote you will see his toes under the rack on occasions. And also loopingnhisnheel over. I found that helped too. But be sure your back foot is often if you are not simply standing up on the back bar.

Also sometimes the ability to step in towards the transom is a luxury. I think Jamie has added an inner back bar to poppy.

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Re: wheelie bar for king tubby
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 09:26:05 AM »
Roland is on about the turbo bars I added to poppy, when sailinng shiny I found big gains using the inner wheelie bar for my rear foot and the wing for my front foot. This meant I was leaning out the back of the boat, more than the side.
I believe ‘so I’m probably wrong’ this allows me to load the t foil more.

What I didn’t realise was how comfortable and stable it was to being on the straight wheelie bars that poppy has. Any slight wave or movement and you can feel the gravitational pull of the forestay wanting to cheese wire your face.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 09:35:02 AM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie