Author Topic: Repaint  (Read 3853 times)

Offline JayHaich

• Former_Member
  • Newb
Repaint
« on: April 30, 2019, 12:59:04 PM »
Dan's boat is having a revamp  - sanded and faired more or less to carbon on underside - options for repaint:

(1) Durepox hand applied by roller, sand / polish to 600 or better finish depending on will to live. Materials and consumables around £350.

(2) Quote from car sprayer for 1 coat epoxy primer + 2k car paint topcoat approx £1000 including material

(3) Rough price from marine painter - Durepox / Awlgrip products  £1400 including material

Option (1) is a significant cost saving and easier to repair scratches but I'm daunted by the finishing.  Who has experience of roller application over full hull and the resulting sanding hours?

Option (2) is tempting because we have done enough sanding already and should look good.  What is the longevity of car paint vs. Awlgrip or similar?

Any other ideas?

Jeremy

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Repaint
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 06:53:51 PM »
Firstly the health and safety bit. Durepox is nasty s..... Do not even think about using it unless you have have a really good mask and in a well ventilated place.
It is amazing stuff though. I assume you will be painting it red again. Red is very translucent and needsots of coats. I tried painting red then adding a gloss clear coat. If I did it again I'd mix the clear in the last couple of coats. Rub it down when dry do not leave it for a week between coats. It goes really hard.
It is a lot of work but if you have the space that's dust free dry and light it is an amazing paint.
If you have 1400 to spare pay them. If they do a good job they will have earned their money.
Practice getting the thinner ratio correct. Only mix small amounts at a time. Sorry this just my thoughts as I wrote and not a detailed guide. Too tire and busy for that but if you want to ask more I am happy to help.

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 11:41:19 PM »
Agreed it’s horrible stuff.

Pearson Engineering is a firm believer in Darwin’s theory rather than health and safety.
But after reading the ingredient father ruled masks and all for it.

Glad to hear she’s getting some love. Now the most important question..... what colour?!
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »
I sprayed Zero Gravitas with durepox, I borrowed a spray gun and compressor to do it. It should be feasable to hire a compressor but you might have to buy a gun, all in should be less than the pro.

It was my first attempt at spraying and the primer went on pretty well, the clear was harder to get a good finish with though. The bottom was easy to do as it is mostly a big flat surface. Doing the inside was more difficult with all the tubes and sticky out bits. I got a few runs in corners and on edges.

Time was also an issue. After the first coat it was clear that some areas of fairing weren't as good as I had thaught but I was getting sick of sanding so have not fixed them. Sanding between coats is hard, it is so easy to cut through the colour on an edge, then it all needs another coat.

Getting a professional finish should avoid these problems, but there is a risk of adding weight as they may be more interested in a perfect finish than good but light. Primal Scream ended up heavy I think largely down to the paint looking like a mirror, at least till the first sail.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline JayHaich

• Former_Member
  • Newb
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 12:05:24 PM »
Thanks all for the advice much appreciated, considering all and especially as we should be sailing not sanding I'm about to book in to get her sprayed professionally.  We have sanded off a lot of paint so hopefully the weight gain will not be too great.

As to colour you'll have to wait and see but will be suitably Cherubic.

Jeremy