Author Topic: Winter 2019 Jobs  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
Winter 2019 Jobs
« on: January 06, 2019, 08:44:37 PM »
What winter jobs are people planning for this year?

I am a bit less ambitious this year, but have a list of things to do after the first season sailing the new boat.

• Add a central Kick bar, and improve the grip
  • The rudder stock drags slightly in the water in lighter wind, so I want to modify the shape so it is higher up to keep it clear.
  • Finish my longer centerboard
  • Do something different with the cap shrouds to make setup eisier.
  • Potentially a twist adjustment for the T-foil

What are other people planning?
[/list]
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Winter 2019 Jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:02:28 PM »
Thankfully with winter being so mild, I have got a fair bit done on Poppy.

Still to do:
Sort T foil system
Order a new mast tip from ctech
Sort out this blooming box trailer. West Mersey have been pretty poor in helping so far....
Repair mainsail.
Make daggerboard cover
Make t foil cover
Make new cradles.

Oh and make a cover.
Then all I need is to find what rake/rig setting I need.

I’ve also saved the Composite Craft daggerboard mould (little chilli) from the chainsaw, so will hopefully punch out one of them soon
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:06:24 PM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie

Offline OliverG

• Committee
  • Newb
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 09:20:15 PM »
Things that are happening with Kipper over the next week or two:

- Finish welding together a new trolley (any tips on a trolley handle design that doesn't get in the way of the snout? Possibly split into a V like on Marmite's trolley)
- paint trolley
- Make a front cradle and do some work on the current main cradle. The box section uprights are so rusted that you can see daylight through them so need replacing - maybe glassing in some wood and bolting through it would be a simple solution that would account for the inaccuracy of my novice welding.
- New padding foam for said cradles
- Source a low cost undercover, I hear RS 200 undercovers fit 91 rules hulls alright.

After these things are done I'll be confident for the boat to be towed long distances (It's a 12 hour round trip from me to Weymouth and back!)

Other things that I'll do over the winter but aren't urgent:

- Add some jib tracks so the jib sheeting is adjustable inboard/outboard as it's currently fixed (slightly too far outboard I think). Not quite sure where to attach them yet, either on the deck or on the bulkhead at the back of the foredeck.
- Add foot loops to keep the crew attached to the boat instead of the current flailing in the water
- Touch up the paint where it has rubbed off on the badly padded trolley and touch up other minor blemishes
- New kite halyard, long enough to try the masthead kite I have.
- Stiffer mainsail battens as a couple of cherub sailors who have looked at the SR main have said battens are too floppy and will affect pointing

But apart from those things the boat is reliable, and nothing new has broken in the dozen times I've sailed it.
Looking forward to seeing how it paces against the two other 97 rules boats that are going to be at the Rutland open in March.
Nautilus Pompilius 2680

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 09:33:18 PM »
That is a good reminder, I need to improve my trolly handle too. I will probably just have it coming to one side of the bow. The trolly itself is probably a little short, but that was the length of scrap tube i had.

I am thinking of adjustable caps, but am unsure how much movement is needed at the bottom end of the wire. The current setup is 49er style out to the shroud points, so tension comes from moving the mast, rather than the shrouds.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:48:41 PM by Phil Alderson »
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale