Author Topic: D2’s  (Read 5270 times)

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
D2’s
« on: November 20, 2018, 02:39:14 PM »
I usually get these mixed up but I’m on about the shrouds that attach to the mast just under the spreaders.

Can people explaine what they think these do? (Wanting to double check my theory)

Looking thought the photos of this years nationals I have spotted that little chilli and Usagi are both without them.

What are the cases for needing them and not needing them?
Thanks
Jamie

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant
Re: D2’s
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »
All depends on your mast bend.

they are used to straighten the middle of your mast (between the D1- goose neck and the hounds)  If you have a really bendy mast pulling a lot of caps/shrouds on will bend the middle/lower part of your mast more than you want. This may be a issue if you need alot of bend higher up but straighter lower down.  D2 and to a point D1 will straight this bottom section of the mast

If you have a stiff mast and the sails are cut to that bend they may not be needed.

Bendy mast also may fall sideways out of column under load and this would help support that as well.

I started out without them on Madge but added them as the middle was not very controllable on that mast and i wanted it with less bend. On Green Bananas we have a super stiff mast so it's not an issue so do not have them.
3217 - Green Bananas (Kermit)

Offline Clive Everest

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
We added them to A+E after Alex put on 35kg. The mast needed a lot more support.
Class Committee

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »
Exactly my challenge with EJ. I need to flatten the top of the main but keep fullness lower down. The adjustable caps do a great job for the top but make the middle of the mast bend more too - just what I don't want.
The combination of leverage and stretch in the D2s means needing LOADS of tension when I add caps tension. Make them adjustable too? Find a mast that is stiffer in the middle? New main??

roland_trim

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 01:31:39 PM »
Make them adjustable too? Find a mast that is stiffer in the middle? New main??
Either get the simple repair done to the good mast you had or buy a new one.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 09:18:50 PM »
Exactly my challenge with EJ. I need to flatten the top of the main but keep fullness lower down. The adjustable caps do a great job for the top but make the middle of the mast bend more too - just what I don't want.
The combination of leverage and stretch in the D2s means needing LOADS of tension when I add caps tension. Make them adjustable too? Find a mast that is stiffer in the middle? New main??
What about lengthening your lower spreaders, and reducing the deflection slightly?
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale