Author Topic: 97 rules cherub and older  (Read 6578 times)

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
97 rules cherub and older
« on: September 13, 2018, 01:23:01 AM »
I've had a great year sailing king tubby, its taken almost a year and a half to get the boat to where i wanted it. Without a doubt there have been some frustrating  times when fixes haven't worked as well as hoped and new solutions

What i would like to do with this post is to encourage other 97 rules boats and older to come out on the open circuit and enjoy the excitement of sailing with other cherub and not to mention the social side too.

So here is what I'm asking for, if you know of someone with an old rules boat, or you have one yourself, leave a message here and we can all get to know each other and hopefully get racing together.

King tubby is looking forward to a full season next year as well as a bit of fun at some of the sail juice events this winter.

Many thanks in advance for your help and support with this

Martyn Denchfield
If in doubt flat out

Offline OliverG

• Committee
  • Newb
Re: 97 rules cherub and older
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »
Hi all

I've recently bought The Flying Kipper and will be joining in with the 91/97 rules racing at next years events.

Kipper is a great boat, and with her rig set up properly and some more practise for the crew she should be hot on the heels of King Tubby.

I look forward to some good racing (and socials) next year!
Nautilus Pompilius 2680

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
I am keen to get Pocket Rocket to a new home to join in with some of the other 97 rules boats. It is for sale at the moment and would make a great option for 97 rules racing, and even trouble some of the 05 boats.

https://www.uk-cherub.org/forum/index.php/topic,2336.0.html
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
Likewise i need to either gain some motivation or find someone with time and energy to take on my project.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline OliverG

• Committee
  • Newb
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 10:18:18 PM »
Had a great day on Saturday blasting around in The Flying Kipper in perfect wind for the second time out sailing her.
A guy with drone managed to get some great footage of us sailing around - and some swimming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3YR_w0HjCk

As you can see from the video I need to work on gybing - Maybe some more kicker needed to calm down the leech on the exit together with more speed on the entry.
Looking forward to more 97 rules sailing, but not looking forward to the water being colder as winter creeps in as I suspect I may swimming a few more times before I've got the hang of the boat.
Nautilus Pompilius 2680

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 11:03:59 PM »
Fantastic bit of footage. Looks like you were going pretty well to me. A good reminder of what a great ship a 97 or 91 rules Cherub really is.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »
This is awesome. I love it. What's the maximum wind speed that a drone can fly in? We wanna see some footage in those kind of wind speeds :-D

roland_trim

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 11:00:34 AM »
Batt Main - Kicker off for the Gybe and you'll survive those

After a while you'll not need to do this as in a flat gybe it flicks through....

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »
Fantastic footage, looking good
If in doubt flat out

Offline OliverG

• Committee
  • Newb
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 09:29:01 PM »
More sailing video of the Flying Kipper from today - Luckily the camera didn't record the capsizes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVoWs7t_N6Q

Had a great blast and even lead a race until the gybe at the bottom mark where we had a swim.

As we were launching for the second time for afternoon races we hit the centreboard on the concrete bottom (Covenham is like a smaller queen mary) and may have done some damage. The boat took on some water into one of the floor tanks after this so I think I've got some fixing to do. I can't see any cracks but as the board has some fore/aft play in the case I'm planning on standing the boat on it's transom and beading some epoxy on the aft edge of the slot to fix any small crack that may be there. If I'll get round to sorting it anytime soon is another question.

In the long term I'd like to build a better board and build/fit a new case so I'm not too worried about it.
Nautilus Pompilius 2680

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 09:08:03 PM »
Looking really good, love the arial vew, has the kipper had a new paint job, it looks like a different colour since I last saw it when I delivered it to Scotch Corner for the new owner.

There should be a picture somewhere of 2642 on it's tail on the beach at a Nationals getting a case  repair. I think Kipper had floor hatches that leaked a bit, so it might be worth looking at that.

A gybing strop can help get the boom across, and can also help in the lighter stuff to pop the battens. It can also help for the helm to preset the jib onto the new side before starting the gybe, then the crew can concentrate on getting in quickly. If you can get the main across before the boat looses speed it is so much eisier, steering an S so after the gybe you are sailing deep gives you some time to sort things before the crew goes out and you load everything up.

3218 Zero Gravitas

Offline OliverG

• Committee
  • Newb
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 11:34:26 PM »
Cheers Phil, I've replaced and resealed the hatch and bungs so that should stop most of the small leak. Standing the boat on its tail was harder than I thought so I've epoxied the back of the board case with the boat upright, then second time on its side where the first repair wasn't perfect. This was probably overkill as there might have not been anything wrong with the back of the case in the first place.

The boat has been repainted so it looks fairly tidy, apart from where I've dug out some wet plywood from the floor and left a square of unpainted glass on foam but I'll get around to touching that up at some point.
Nautilus Pompilius 2680

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »
Glad it is looking good. I pulled quite a bit of wet wood out of Kipper when I had it, I am not a big fan of ply backing in foam boats.
3218 Zero Gravitas

Offline scorpion_1925

• Committee
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 07:47:26 PM »
https://www.uk-cherub.org/forum/index.php/topic,2372.0.html

The calender is out for 2019, let's see of we can get a few more old boats out regularly.
If in doubt flat out