Author Topic: Thinking of buying a Cherub!!!  (Read 7517 times)

Offline zimboflyman

• Newb
Thinking of buying a Cherub!!!
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
Hi all,
I’m Shane and I grew up sailing fireballs and 505’s as both helm and crew – lots of experience – although been out of it many years now in favour of kitesurfing.

Basically asking opinions to see if a cherub might suit myself and my 12 year old son. He has only very basic Oppie experience and is showing interest in trapeze boats.
Would something like a 97 cherub be a bit too much for a beginner youngster to learn basic 2 handed sailing?

Obviously I wouldn’t take him out in a F5 and throw him out on the wire with the kite up, (for both our sakes!) ;D
but as a boat to learn basic trapezing and helming in lighter winds, with a few good offwind, 2 sail runs, to show the excitement factor, do you think it would be stable enough – or simply be too much and put him off?

We live in South Wales and I see Major Tom 2661 is for sale quite nearby – so I’m currently eyeing that out as price is within budget. 
My plan would be to find a crew and get to as many meetups so I can learn the boat – while teaching my son on lighter wind days.

Would love to hear your feedback!
Cheers

Offline BenR

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Thinking of buying a Cherub!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
Hi Shane,
Welcome to the forum. My advice would be to see if someone will take you out for a sail in one and then you can decide for yourself. I would help out there but I am a bit far from you. You might want to try the guys at Chew Valley or Thornbury. Cherubs are "tippy" there is no denying that but they are light and responsive and there are plenty of youngsters who sail in them. The 97 rules rig is a great way to enter the class. I am sure someone nearer by than me will be along in a bit to offer you a chance to sail in a cherub before you take the plunge.

Ben
2688- Atum Bom

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
Hey Shane,

I regrettably have my 97 rules Cherub up for sale at the moment as the fact that I've got a pair of 3 year old twins means that I don't have time to sail it and I'd really like to see it in the hands of someone keen and active!

I seem to have failed to actually put any photos up of it on the advert on the Cherub website, but I'll include a link here to my facebook advert if you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/168646697162779

It's a fast and well known boat (even if it has been in hiding in recent years!)

roland_trim

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »

"Do it :-) "

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »
Ive got a 97 Bistro design, and although bias i wouldn't say it was tippy at all, sailed it with my wife plenty and our previous experience was RS visions and Laser 2ks.

Having said that its not a easy boat to sail at 5 out of 10 its really a send it sort of boat, we often just 2 sail it though without issues. The jib purchase systems are low load so it should be ok for the wee man and likewise with the helm too, but the mainsheet can be hard work like wise when it gets windy the kite isnt small but i expect you know better than I what hes capable  of.  They are great boats to trapeze off so I would strongly recommend that also the skills you learn if your interested in a bit of DIY maintenance is very valuable and no doubt will help the wee one if they stick at it as they get older.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »
As I am sure you are aware, the normal double-handler route on from Oppies is 420 or 29er. Having been on this journey with small teenage daughter, we went 29er. Good robust boat, but hull alone weighs more than a fully-rigged Cherub - which matters at this stage for launching, recovery and handling ashore. We skipped 97 rules ourselves, but at 15 sq m the kite is the same size as on a 29er; and because the Cherub is lighter it’s more fun.
You will spend a fair bit of time swimming to start with either way as you get used to each other and the boat. May be worth a couple of sails in something else to get him comfortable trapezing first rather than throwing too many new factors into the first sail in your new Cherub.

Could you travel to Draycote where we can get you both out.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »
I think it depends a bit on what you want to get out of your sailing. If you like challenging yourself and having fun sailing a boat then the Cherub is a good option. If what matters is winning a series at your club and having regular close racing then an older Cherub is unlikely to provide that.
I have been sailing a 97 rules Cherub for about  7 years and had an 05 rules and a couple of different 97 rules boats before that. I recently built an 05 boat, so 97 rules one is for salehttp://www.uk-cherub.org/forum/index.php/topic,2336.0.html it is a very well sorted boat and I have had some good results in it even recently.
I think that the 97 rules rig works well for a lighter weight crew, having a light all up weight keeps it lively and keeps the sheet loads down. They do struggle in the lighter stuff as a 12foot hull optimised for planing does not go in a drifter, but with a bit of wind they take off and behave unlike any other boat I have sailed. My crew had not trapized before sailing with me in the Cherub and while we did get quite wet at times it was worth it in the end.
Most of the 97 rules boats out there at the moment were built pre 97 rules and converted with a longer snout, and slightly wider wings, they are also wider on the waterline than boats built post 97.  This is a conversion that worked pretty well on most of the boats Major Tom is a Bistro design which was a really popular hull shape it was fast in its day and did not have too many vices.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline zimboflyman

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 03:38:58 PM »
Awesome - thanks for the replies!

JayW - Cheers for the offer, Bit too far to travel (is that Draycote - Rugby?), but really appreciate it!
Phil - Pocket Rocket looks nice, but out of my current budget, probably looking around 1500 tops
KerrGreg - thanks for info
Born Slippy -  ;)
Tim - Sent you a PM
Ben - defo agree - Test drive would be the way forward!

Also seen 'subtle knife' up for sale within budget on facebook
generally it looks like there are a few boats for very decent money with very reasonable looking specs

Hows the class racing scene in general? - looks to be about 10 boats at last years nationals

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »
Subtle has sold. Now at Draycote.

From memory those for sale are:
Comfortably numb
Ronin
Riot van
Chilli
Sweet dreams
EJ
Heart attack
Spanish Inquisition.

Have a search on dinghy boats and bits, the Facebook page. Seems the be the way forward for selling stuff.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:15:32 AM by JP233 »
Thanks
Jamie

Offline zimboflyman

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
OK - wet and did it!
meeting Tim tomorrow to pick up 'Comfortably Numb' and off for my first foray back into Dinghy's for many years on Saturday!

Super Excited!

roland_trim

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
As a community - we are exited as well

Boat has the capacity to unlock some serious grins. Can highly suggest Pembroke - even if swimming with the boat

Offline zimboflyman

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 01:55:23 PM »
yup !  already booked leave and baggering the 2 decent crews I know ;D