Author Topic: 2018 Open Meeting 2 - Weston SC March 31/April 1  (Read 4158 times)

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
2018 Open Meeting 2 - Weston SC March 31/April 1
« on: March 20, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »
ah so what fools are up for this one.  The Saturday/Sunday of the traditional Easter Grand Slam event

Open to non-members for a nominal entry fee apparently.  Camping in the field next to the club

All the details at  https://www.weston.org.uk/news

Note the 11am Saturday first start time

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:27:34 PM by andy_peters »

Offline andy_peters

• Class member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: 2018 Open Meeting 2 - Weston SC March 31/April 1
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
I really must get more selfish at this event organising malarkey.  This is yet another one we can't make - for the same reason as Rutland.  I will though have the pleasure of sailing in 15-18knts and 30 degrees that weekend.  I hope you don't have another mini Beast from the East (snigger)

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 03:51:51 PM »
Green bananas should be there over the weekend. 

need to work out which club down that way i'm joining.
3217 - Green Bananas (Kermit)

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:58:37 PM »
Not EJ unfortunately.

Two weekends on the trot not good for family, and Guy on a scuba course ( nothing to do with Cherub sailing!).

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 03:18:31 PM »
So two of us made it to the event.

Day 1:
BUilding breeze (jsut twin trapping).  Dan's boat got two win's before lunch with Green Banana's bring up the rear in both races (racing and ISO and 4000 on handicap).  We both didn't go out for race 3 after lunch.

Day 2:
Very light to no breeze.  Dan's boat didn't go out and Green Banana's left it late and started late and finished slowly and didn't get a finish (OCS)

Day 3:
Decent building breeze to just below 18-20.  Green Banana's changed to the 12ft skiff rig for some fun as no one to race against.  we started underpower but soon got to being over powered with the whole main back winding while bottom of the traps going up wind.  Down wind once getting the kite up the boat flew off on it own dead down wind.  we had some good runs maxing out at 17.6knts boat speed on the GPS.  not completely in control.  (had a near miss with Jamie's sister in her Byte C1) You really can't see anything under the kite.

With the breeze getting stronger we ended up retiring from the last lap of race one after a large wipe out.  We went for one last long run down from upwind before calling it a day. 

There were two further races in very nice breeze but we had large smiles from the over canvased down wind ride.

Poor turn out but fun was had.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »
Great to hear that the big rig has had a couple of outings. Have you managed to get it working?

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
Great to hear that the big rig has had a couple of outings. Have you managed to get it working?

Still slightly to full so will likely need a luff re-cut on the main to get it workign nicely.  I'm using my current class jib as it was pretty much the same size.  the Kite i currently have a 49er kite on her but it's a bit to long in the luff so need to play around with a 40cm mast extension or find another donor kite. 

other than that she does work but the window for it being effienct and quick is very small. you go from underpowered to powered up before std rig.  but very quickly get over powered and then it's dealing with the extra drag round the course.  need to get the working window wider.

But the idea is to spend as little money on it as possible and have lots of fun.  Also currently plug and play with no majore modifications to the boat from std rig to 12.  Currenyl takes about 20 min to swap between the two from fully rigged in one to the other.