Author Topic: Emergency pole  (Read 3049 times)

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
Emergency pole
« on: August 09, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
Planning ahead (yes, really!) for the nationals, I don't expect any gear problems from EJ.
But that's what I thought last year, until the kite pole exploded near the end of a downwind leg: we didn't hit anything, it went about a foot forward of the nose, and the committee boat heard the 'gunshot' and saw a puff of carbon dust!
Fortunately, Roland had a spare pole - off the mould but still rough on the outside and with all the 'release' tape (what a misnomer!) still inside it - so after a long afternoon's fettling we were back in action the next day.

However this year I'm not aware of any spare poles around...

I have the two parts of the old pole - 2.88m long but currently in not far off equal halves.
I have quite a lot of bits of tapered tube, one of which actually would make a pretty good splint up the inside of the old pole. Not worried about weight if it's that or not sailing!

I also have loads of carbon windsurfing masts. I know that the 2-part top sections won't be stiff enough, but some are >430 1-piece, and these I could cut down from the top to use the wider/stiffer part. Still not as fat as the 'standard' Cherub pole - 55mm OD rather than 75mm - but thicker wall section.
Someone in the class has/had a skinny pole - Ade, was that you?
Does anyone have deflection measurements that I could use to check the options? (EJ is currently at Draycote so not handy for whipping the pole out)

Grateful for thoughts from anyone, please.

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
Re: Emergency pole
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:35:10 AM »
Will take a look at madges pole (which if i have space I can bring to nats) i think that is off the same mandril you speak of.
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
Re: Emergency pole
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
Greg, that would be great if you could. Thanks