Author Topic: What new kite (05 rules)  (Read 3776 times)

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
What new kite (05 rules)
« on: July 15, 2017, 11:08:05 AM »
I am considering treating EJ to a new kite...

Any advice please on best / simplest / most cost-effective solution?

Offline AmusingOutrigger

• Former_Member
  • Newb
    • Carwyn Owen Website
Re: What new kite (05 rules)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »
Don't have any input on a new kite, but am in the market for a used 05 rules kite for my boat as long as it isn't too Battered?

Carwyn
Major Tom -  2661

Offline Clive Everest

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:41:31 PM »
Lennon.
Class Committee

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »
I hear there is a RS800 (i think its that RS) which is basically the same dimentions a small trim to the tail edge (leach) should make it measure.

http://www.uk-cherub.org/doku.php/boats/2644ic#suicide_blonde_the_iain_christie_years
Bit of fun really, just HAD to put the kite up to see what it would look like! Again, no wire on the rig yet (just string!) and no capshrouds (hence bend in top of mast). Kit looks HUGE in this picture. It's an RS800 kite which measures at 21.5sqm. To make it class legal it needed to lose 0.5sqm, however with the way the measurment rules work in practice it was far less than this. Leaving the head and clew as they were, I took a sliver of material out of the kite that was only 10cm deep at it's widest point, halfway up the leech. Almost not worth bothering with!
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

roland_trim

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
RS800 is a bit baggy for EJ - She likes to squeeze an apparent wind
The old North design works very very well on her. If you ask nicely I could try Zaoli

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 07:22:08 PM »
Im going for one from lennon. He's been a bit quiet recently. But I belive he's at the moth worlds in Garda. Very helpful, price is pretty good. Colour choice is good.

He also told me one of Clive's designs could work better (for me) if he changes the geometry so it's hopeful he isn't just clicking 'print' but changing it to fit my needs!
Thanks
Jamie

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
So thus far:
- Lennon - £700. Because the sheeting blocks on EJ are tied onto the racks there is a bit of flexibility on geometry.
- North - £??
- RS800 - 'baggy' - £770 plus mods
- Ullman - as on the boat now - £??

Roland, do you know price and availability (before the nationals) for a North, please?

Offline JayW

• Wanabe Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:29 PM »
From Roland: "Ullmans. Very quick in. Flat water if twinning and perfectly flat. Would suggest asking them to revisit and add shoulders. "

But I had terrible customer service experience with an Oppy sail from Ullman for Rosie, so would not go near them out of choice!

So I got hold of Mike Lennon, who told me that lead time was 'down to about 4 weeks at the moment', but that he would check. Price has also gone up a bit (10%) from what is on their website.
He came back the next day and said that they had a quiet patch and could offer delivery in 2 weeks - i.e. Friday 18th!

So that's what is due to happen...