Author Topic: New Daemon  (Read 3715 times)

Offline RobinJones

• Former_Member
  • Wanabe Guru
New Daemon
« on: April 01, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
So, since its really got some momentum up this last week, I figured I'd finally start the thread - I'm building a Daemon, and at this point, planning on building a second as soon as the first is finished.

What brings this on is the realisation that I've just moved out, have a small amount of garage space, a lot of free time, and having started using the wing rig on banshee, a whole load of redundant kit - in fact a whole boats worth.

The first boat is the shell that was already in the mould, that I shall finish off as a bare hull - I'll then be open to selling this pretty much for cost price, or trading for any bits that I could use!

The second boat, at this stage, I'm planning on making as a foiler, with some pretty significant changes from the standard Daemon (twin boards, totally different gantry, stumped). But that's all a long way down the pipeline!

As of now, I've patched up all of the delamination in the hull shell that was in the mould (not pretty, and still not faired!), made 2 sets of bulkheads, laid up the first deck skin, and started to add core material to this. I'm using 250gsm biax, with 160gsm glass for some low load areas and a mix of 6mm 70kgm^3 foam and for flatter panels/where i want impact resistance, Balsa core material.

As for now, if anyone has any weights for their outer hull shell, top deck, or bulkheads, i'd be curious to hear them, so i can know if I'm somewhere on track!

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Offline kerrgreg

• Apprentice Guru
Re: New Daemon
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
Good work!

Ill be interested in seeing how this pans out
Thanks
Greg

Madge 2646

Offline JP233

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:20:33 AM »
Will these be the long awaited 'Poodles Noodles' and 'The Bees Knees'
Thanks
Jamie

Offline Clive Everest

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
Cool.
I am very happy to give detail on what we did on the foils if you are interested.
A+Es mould is availability if anyone wants it.
We used 200g cloth with a second layer on the outside through the mid 4' of hull.
We used 80g 8mm foam. I would have used 100g if available. Small increases in foam density give significant increase in strength and higher density foam soaks up less resin.
A+Es hull came off the mould at 7kg. I think that this is much lighter than most but there is less of it (the hull does not go to the gunwale) and it needed more framing than a heavier hull.
Class Committee

Offline pratn0

• Class member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
glad to see the tooling being used.

looking forward to having more of our hull shape onthe water.
3217 - Green Bananas (Kermit)