Linked Events

• Torbay Regatta: August 23, 2008 - August 25, 2008

Author Topic: Torbay Regatta  (Read 9088 times)

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Torbay Regatta
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »
The Torbay Regatta is the 23rd - 25th August 2008.

This could be a great warm-up event before the Nationals.

2008 is the first year that all the clubs in Torbay have shown a united front to run a regatta together, rather than having separate events.

We would have two options for fleets to sail in:

The asymmetric fleet normally sails around a long windward/leeward course with a wing mark on the 1st lap. This wasn't a huge fleet last year and we would probably be the most numerous class, practically having our own start. Other boats in the fleet last year were RS800 and V3000's and Laser 2000's.

The other option is to sail in the 12foot skiff fleet. They also have their own start. This would be a good opportunity to give the skiffs a good bashing on their home soil. However, you wouldn't be able to use a T-foil rudder, and they may even ask you to cover the Cherub "heart" insignia with a Bartercard sticker showing your racing number.

Also happening at the same time is the Iso, Buzz, and Tasar Nationals. A Cadet fleet is involved somewhere, an SB3 fleet, Flying Fifteens, and numerous yachts.

Each fleet has prizes for every race!

Royal Torbay Yacht Club is incredibly friendly, and is quite posh. The club house is almost like a town house, with changing rooms and reception downstairs and two lounge rooms and a dining room upstairs. The dining room has a great chef, and properly laid tables with table cloths and cutlery and everything. And it's all really good value for money as well. There's also a large outside garden bit from one of the bars. However this year, dinghy classes are sailing from Paignton, I don't know about this or the other clubs involved in the regatta. Maybe someone else could fill me in.

Last year there was also a marquee with a bar outside.

The club arranges corporate sponsorship for the event which involves lot's of free alcohol.

There are numerous accommodation options, ranging from parking a car on a quiet road, to camping, to B&B's, to posh hotels!

Further info at: http://www.torbayweek.co.uk/

So is anyone interested? Can we get a fleet together? If people can commit to going I will phone the organisers and see if I can persuade them to let us have our own start!

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Torbay Regatta
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »
is the rigging area on the harbour wall or are we launching off the beach? Are any facilities going to be available for rigging boats on their side?

Did the ent natioanls there in 2001 and it's not a bad venue.

roland_trim

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »
Sorry Strawbs - thats a pass from us.
We have an appointment with a surfboard, re-calibrating where to gybe and a tent. Pembroke YC from Friday 22nd onwards.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
In previous years when we have been sailing from the Royal Torbay Yacht Club, rigging was on the harbour wall and the hard stand by the slip way, and the numerous 12 and 18ft skiffs and Cherubs all had no problems rigging on their side. However, this year we are sailing from Paignton Sailing Club and I've not been there before. Apparently rigging is "On the esplanade at the end of Sands Road". I see no reason why we couldn't rig on the beach though, and wouldn't be surprised if others followed suit.

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:34:53 PM »
There's also apparently a green to rig on.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 05:54:51 PM »
Sorry Stu we are with Slippy. Though we may only be able to get hold of a couple of Body boards.
We will arrive Sat morn.

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 10:12:01 PM »
I am going to find myself in the front of the crazily light skiff that is Simons Slug for Torquay. It's part of an exciting loan deal which involves him borrowing my crewing skills, and in exchange I get to borrow his finely crafted bloodaxe daggerboard for the week! job done  ::)

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 05:29:04 PM »
I wouldn't like to say who has the better deal.
But are you expecting heavy winds on the weekend?

Offline Stuart Hopson

• Former_Member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »
myself and Debi, will be going straight to wales on saturday, planning to take surfboard + body board too.

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 12:44:09 PM »
erm!

james can't do the weekend as he is sailing I plan to do the two long distance races at Thornbury with a borrowed crew.

Sarah's consumed by worrying about her byte worlds in weymouth. Blocks to change international letters to put on the sails, foils to polish etc.  i expect to turn up at pembrokeshire on the Tuesday.

nothing like good prep to kick off a campaign ;)

iain_christie

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:10:38 PM »
And I'll be there too...spectating.

A nice crash on my mountain bike at Afan last week gave me a free ride in a helicopter, and put an end to my collarbone and the 12 foot skiff series this year (currently leading...grrrr...)

Gutted!!!!!

Debi

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »
Sarah's consumed by worrying about her byte worlds in weymouth. Blocks to change international letters to put on the sails, foils to polish etc.  i expect to turn up at pembrokeshire on the Tuesday.

nothing like good prep to kick off a campaign ;)

Make sure you tell Sarah Good Luck from us!!  ;D Im sure she'll do really well

(sorry to thread hijack!)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 01:18:41 PM »
Thanks

I will pass on your kind support.

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru