Author Topic: Measurement Rules  (Read 12219 times)

Debi

Measurement Rules
« on: July 25, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »
I'm curious about something on the class rules/sail measurement rules...

How comes the class still uses the 1979 IYRU (ISAF) rules for sail measurement?

I know that was around the time cherubs changed from set lengths for luff, leech and foot etc to areas (we have some very old class rules here at work - 1968 with 1972 amendments, and some from around 1990 which i have been nosing at)

I was just curious really, whether it was because there would be too many dispensations for newer ISAF rules to work, or if it was just what the class had stuck with....

No real reason to this thread asking, other than my curiosity getting the better of me on a friday afternoon :)

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
Re: Measurement Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:54:57 PM »
I don't think there are any newer ISAF sail area measurement rules yet. There weren't last time I looked about 4 years ago. Its something that's likely to come under the ERS umbrella, but at the moment that's totally focussed on one designs...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:02:55 PM by JimC »

Debi

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »
At work we have a set of rules ISAF produced - ISAF guide to sail measurement 2001-2004, just wondered if there were any marked differences etc, thats all.

and I know there has been the ERS since - which a lot of classes are not complying with etc (for example the national 12s no longer being a "national" class as not wanting to comply with RYA over measurement rule stuff)

Just wondered really....friday afternoon was a bit slow lol  ;)

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »
What do you call a national 12 that isn't a national class?

A 12? Would this then get confused with 12 foot skiffs which can be reffered to as 12's

Just curious

Debi

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »
Lol. Its still a National 12, it just isnt recognised by the RYA as a "National" class....the RYA are currently telling a lot of classes that they have to comply with, i think it the ERS, or no longer be affliated as a national class....(which means they dont have to go trhough the RYA for rule changes etc)

which the National 12 opted out of....think a few classes are going the same way, i know its up for discussion in the graduates and a few other classes as well.