Author Topic: The Antidote To Panel Games  (Read 28718 times)

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: The Antidote To Panel Games
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »
It may be what the rule intended. But it's not necessarily what the rule says.

If there is a disagreement over the wording of the rule, I'm not sure who adjudicates. The measurement officer?

Offline daryl_wilkinson

• Guru's Guru
    • Clearthinking Creative
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 06:59:57 PM »
I expect the rules have been drafted with the intention that no part of the sail shall extend above the black band at 7.1m.  If this is so is this in all sail trims or a prescribed amount of kicker, cunningham and main sheet tension? I assume the measurement is made perpendicular to the baseline of the hull.  Depending the the amount of pre bend in the rig and many other factors the measurement will not be perpendicular to the mast.

How is this measured accurately? have we found 2 walls built exactly 7.1m appart between which we can lie the boats?

If I remember correctly when we were considering this rule ( in one of our comfortable motorway service station committee meetings! I hope they have improved now! ) It was the intention that the masts length be measured off the boat ( so no rake was included ) and added to the the other distances. This meant for all practical purposes measuring the depth of the case and then from the floor to the mast step position ( if the mast was deck stepped or stumped ) and adding together to a max of 7.1m And yes the intention was not to have battens protruding above the black band. Patrick should be aware of this as he was part of the committee, working with Simon Gavin as Technical Officer / Measurement Officer.

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 09:41:57 PM »

It may be what the rule intended. But it's not necessarily what the rule says.

If there is a disagreement over the wording of the rule, I'm not sure who adjudicates. The measurement officer?

Code: [Select]
3.5 Interpretation
The CHERUB is a development class and these rules may
not cover every eventuality. In cases where doubt exists,
account should be taken of the intentions and spirit of
the rules and the matter should be referred to the
Technical Officer and Association Committee.

It is all in the rules.

Code: [Select]
4.2.4 Sail Height: The vertical distance from the
lowest point of the hull to the mast step plus the distance
from the bottom of the mast to the top of a measurement
band, above which no sail shall be set, shall be no more
than 7.1m.

The interpretation of this rule has to be that the sails are not allowed to go above the measurement band anything other would make the rule pointless. The wording of the rule I think makes this clear.

3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 11:39:34 AM »
You're quite right. I was just playing devil's advocate.

Offline kevin_ellway

• Newb
Re: The Antidote To Panel Games - video footage
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 10:29:06 PM »
Will and Lucy came to Stokes this week. As usual, when they arrived, so did the wind and the waves - big wind over tide.

Undeterred, the duo set off under the watchful eyes of Russ and Penny Clark. Penny is our Laser Radial Olympic representative - good luck Penny.  I hope you all check out her progress. She's worked really hard, likes Cherubs, and just bought a Bladerider - top girl.

Anyway, Russ shot some excellent footage which I've put on YouTube. Here are the links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrOQOCSKh6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAF4c5qjFMA

As the designer, I am pretty pleased with the boat as it appears to behave very much as the math models predicted. I really like that Fyfe main. Check out the small twist in the upwind footage. That was with mega kicker and cunningham.

Jo and I also got to sail it on Friday. Unfortunately, I snapped Will's tiller off, but in the short time of sailing in around 13 knots, it feels more like the SK4 than Beans.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the footage.

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2008, 08:14:03 AM »
The Lee's are to grips with the new boat in an uncomfortably short amount time. Is there a GPS track? Was it maxed out or did you feel that there was still more speed tucked away beneath that orange exterior?
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline kevin_ellway

• Newb
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2008, 08:58:52 AM »
The footage was towards the end of a long on the water session with coaching from the rib. During this time, significant changes were made to the rig set up (loads more kicker) and the T foil - use less. Each time, measurable improvements in speed occurred.

I think there is still some work to do on the jib sheeting, which may give more height at no loss of speed. Since the predicted upwind speed in waves was 11.2-11.5kts in waves at 23 deg awa and that was very similar to that measured, I doubt if the boat will go much quicker uphill, except that is, in flat water. You are limited by leverage. That said, that's a bit quicker than a 49er, but I suspect at a lower angle.

Downhill, I think there is still a lot to come. The boat should be capable of around 25kts in about as much wind. It's all abut trim angle.

Ratface

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
erm? WOW

got to see the boat in action methinks

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2008, 12:23:17 PM »
The boat looks fantastic and is quick even in yesterday's lighter stuff and points well.  Evidentially they overtook RS700 off wind in saturday's f3 breeze surprising the 700 sailor who felt he should be faster.  Our handicap must be in tatters by now.

Offline TSC

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »
Phil,

It was a tight reach that Will overtook me on. Not quite enough breeze to pick up my 85kg !!

The Ellway 5 is definately quick though and had me worried in the last race on Sunday. I won by only 5secs !

Offline dave_ching

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »
Well I remember at last years nationals talking with Tom Kiddle while watching the GPS tracks.
Tom and I apeared to be roughly the same speed half a Knot here half a Knot there upwind. Atom was a good 2 to 3 knots faster. Tom agreed it would be very difficult to get that extra speed, but with a lot of effort I think we have managed it in Shiny. There is just one problem our Aunty Anti has got a turbo powered zimmer. DOH!
As I have said before Anti looks like the best 2 person boat I have seen for a very long time (in any class)
and it is a Cherub. How cool is that.