Author Topic: The Antidote To Panel Games  (Read 28709 times)

mathew_harris

Re: The Antidote To Panel Games
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 05:55:01 PM »
does look good but with those big yachties around the cherub looks tiny (even more so than normal)

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
Sailing at Whitstable at the weekend:

Offline simon_jones

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »
A huge thanks to Will, Lucy and Ross this weekend it was great to catch up. And to use Deans phrase "Antidote is sexy" . It was a shame the wind died , but a great way to spend a sunday.

iain_christie

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 08:51:57 AM »
Looks awesome and I really like the orange colour.  But why the name?

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »
Humphrey Lyttleton died suddenly earlier this year. He was a very famous jazz musician and, late in his career (!) in the 1970's started hosting a ridiculous show on the radio called "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" which is a lot like 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks", (chairman, panellists, questions which only really serve as excuses for humour from the panel, etc etc).

The show was introduced as "the antidote to panel games", because although it seems like a panel game, and there are frequent mentions of points, prizes, etc etc, in fact none are awarded: The whole show is Humph giving comedians silly things to do. These include Mornington Cresent (had the boat been a different colour it could have been called that), One Song To The Tune Of Another (imagine "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" to the tune of "There'll be a welcome in the hillside" and you get the idea).

Humph made the show as he was able to get really really fruity double entendre across in an innocent-seeming way (at 6.30pm on Radio 4). Now Humph is gone it seems unlikely that the show can continue.

The boat's name is our own tiny homage to Humph. He has been part of our lives (on and off) for decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Sorry_I_Haven't_A_Clue
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:37:39 AM by Will_Lee »

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 03:14:19 PM »
Here's one which is just of Antidote's and Loco's mains - but you can see the bow of Antidote in the background - pointy!

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »
Have you posted the picture you intended to?

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 12:39:41 PM »
if so. It is very pointy! 
So pointy it is no wider than the pole :)

Offline Will_Lee

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »
Good spot!

Here is the proper one:

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »
Yes the bow is very pointy even when not hiding behind the spinnaker pole.

You can clearly see where the area that has been taken out of the main and transfered into the jib.  It looks as if they took the LOCO design and drew a line from the top batten to the head and the clew and got the scisors out.  I hope it ws a bit more technical than that.   Your top batten must be nearly 2m long!

After we broke one at dracote I've wondered how much load goes into these battens.

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 01:00:35 AM »
That looks like a pretty big jib, but it might just be the foreshortening of the photo. Can I ask what your main/jib area distribution is, or is that a "need to know" bit of information? Boom  looks quite high too.

patrick_cunningham

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 10:44:14 AM »
"You can clearly see where the area that has been taken out of the main and transfered into the jib.  It looks as if they took the LOCO design and drew a line from the top batten to the head and the clew and got the scisors out.  I hope it ws a bit more technical than that.   Your top batten must be nearly 2m long!

After we broke one at dracote I've wondered how much load goes into these battens. "

Fyfe initially wanted to produce my sails with a head the same length as the boom and the batten end above the mast head.  At the time I didnt want some thing that extreme but it might well be what u do on a second generation rig.

Will did u go for full area with this rig?

Offline Phil Alderson

• Administrator
  • Guru's Guru
    • www.largssc.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 12:17:29 PM »
Fyfe initially wanted to produce my sails with a head the same length as the boom and the batten end above the mast head.  At the time I didnt want some thing that extreme but it might well be what u do on a second generation rig.

Just watch out for:
Code: [Select]
4.2.4 Sail Height: The vertical distance from the lowest point of the
hull to the mast step plus the distance from the bottom of the mast to the
top of a measurement band, above which no sail shall be set, shall be
no more than 7.1m.

if you are designing an extreme rig.
3218 Zero Gravitas
2683 Pocket Rocket For Sale

Offline Stuberry

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 03:51:39 PM »
I guess this depends on how you define where the sail is set.

Is the sail set from the mast?

Or is the sail set from the batten?

Offline phil_kirk

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 04:47:10 PM »
I expect the rules have been drafted with the intention that no part of the sail shall extend above the black band at 7.1m.  If this is so is this in all sail trims or a prescribed amount of kicker, cunningham and main sheet tension? I assume the measurement is made perpendicular to the baseline of the hull.  Depending the the amount of pre bend in the rig and many other factors the measurement will not be perpendicular to the mast.

How is this measured accurately? have we found 2 walls built exactly 7.1m appart between which we can lie the boats?