Author Topic: Greg Gregory  (Read 3924 times)

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
Greg Gregory
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:39:32 PM »
Cross post from YY forum

Hi all. I'm new to this forum but have been reading through with some interest as my father in law has been mentioned more than once. Greg Gregory. He built Cherubs to his own designs in the 60's as well as 1 or 2 other types most notably the Ghost. It's with sadness that I report his death on the 12/12/13 at the age of 79 following a long fight with Alzheimer's. He had a brilliant brain, was way before his time in his innovative thinking on design concepts. Ironic that his brain is the thing he lost. Any information/stories on Greg will be much appreciated....

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Greg Gregory
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »
Thanks Jim, that's very sad. I always remember drooling over Greg's designs as a kid, they always looked to me very stylish, kind of like the mods of the Cherub world - I think designers of that era did so much for his, and my generation.

Offline whirly

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »
Hi
yes - sad news about Greg...here is a message from davidh on the Classic and Vintage Racing Dinghy Association forum
"a quick update........

Yachting World have already taken my obit for Greg, complete with a picture of a Ghost taken off lee on the Solent!

Now here is an interesting 'factoid' - It may well be that Greg and brother Rob were the first to use a 'non-symmetrical' spinnaker - what we'd now think off as something between a 'Code Zero' and an asymmetric! Yes, even before the aussies and kiwis.......

But back to the Obit - we've missed the Feb issue, so this will be in the March copy (our early Feb) but to me it speaks volumes when YW take copy but other (more dinghy orientated) mags are yet to reply!

D"

I could keep you informed about a memorial service if you like....his wife Clare will be organising something when she gets back from New Zealand....

Sue
at Lee on Solent SC

Offline JimC

• Guru's Assistant
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »
Now here is an interesting 'factoid' - It may well be that Greg and brother Rob were the first to use a 'non-symmetrical' spinnaker - what we'd now think off as something between a 'Code Zero' and an asymmetric! Yes, even before the aussies and kiwis...
Sadly not true though, such things have been around since the 19thC!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:11:45 PM by JimC »

Offline Graham Bridle

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
Nice report.