Author Topic: Spare foil  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Spare foil
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
A decision has been made on Loco's 2nd lifting foil, which is a modification to the existing main foil and means I need a replacement foil to keep sailing when it all goes pear shaped.

Does anyone have a spare board which might with some bodging be made to fit Loco's fairly wide slot?

I am also looking at making a foil using a class mould, if one proves suitable.

I will be mounting a simple, fixed lifting foil on the current daggerboard about 30-40cm below the waterline and you can laugh as I crash hilariously on camera. What I hope to learn is whether fitting a simple adjustable trim tab, without active trimming might result in good control in a range of conditions.

Setting the angle of attack will be the challenge but I have a plan.

I am ignoring launching issues currently - long term I'm thinking that coming in with a partially raised board and capsizing (which is what we often do now) is not too big a price to pay and for launching ditto, which is slightly more of a pain.

I debated with Ade and Tom fitting a lifting foil to the end of the daggerboard but it was clear Loco was likely to pop onto foils quite quickly and this would likely be uncontrollable except with a very small foil which wouldn't give sufficient foil assist, particularly upwind, until quite high speeds.

Here goes...
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'