Author Topic: Loads of interest at Grafham  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Steve_scott

• Newb
Loads of interest at Grafham
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »
Well, I've only been out in koko a handful of times at Grafham but I must say that she gets an aweful lot of interest both on the slipway and out on the water. 

There was some massive meet on yesterday and the club was rammed full of non-club sailors.  I decided to take my girlfriend's dad out for a quick introduction to dinghy sailing/swimming having fitted the new rudder pin and used a clevis pin to stop it falling out again.  I couldn't help but smile when I raised the mainsail at the jetty and the inevitable flock of interested people came over to ask what class it, how old it is and what she's like to sail.  As much as I know that I bought the Cherub because I wanted something different, the kid in me loves that other people, presumably sailing generic 9ers, lasers, toppers etc are showing an interest in my little wooden cherub and the class as a whole... You just dont get that with production boats... 

I didn't even manage to get the kite launched at the weekend but I had a throughly enjoyable day out on (and in) the water nonetheless.  Hopefully there'll be a few more sunny windy days before the water gets too chilly!  Anyway, I'm certainly feeling the effects of hiking out and hauling in today and I love my girlfriend's dad's final comment of the day... "the heart symbol and the 'cherub' name make it sound like a cute little boat to learn in... it seems a bit misleading to me..."

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Loads of interest at Grafham
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »
"the heart symbol and the 'cherub' name make it sound like a cute little boat to learn in... it seems a bit misleading to me..."

That is a classic comment!

Isn't it interesting that Cherubs are always known by their name, not their number?
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline Neil C.

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Loads of interest at Grafham
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »
We were rigging up Groovejet (2631) at Derwent one busy Saturday this summer and she was getting a lot of interest. Two completely unrelated guys told me almost the same story about their previous Cherub experiences along the lines of "Wow, I used to have one of these in the 1970's. Think it was a Forman 4 etc. It was a briliiant little boat. Unfortunately it fell to bits in a gale / big seas off the coast at Filey!" One was Filey and the other was somewhere in the south-east so definitely not the same boat. They both had that gleam of pleasure and a faraway look in their eye though :)