Author Topic: Additional appendages  (Read 3376 times)

Offline ade white

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
  • no work team
Additional appendages
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:33:44 PM »
Re foils, Has anyone experienced induced steering created when on the T foil. Do you think angled ends might help or not worth bothering about. I see no one is using these end shapes... but is anyone thinking of adding these to their ideas???
'Sponsor' of "DUCKS"

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: Additional appendages
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:38:12 PM »
Winglets look massively awesome. Include where possible.

roland_trim

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »
Kevin E and I chatted about these at length a few days ago. If he beats me to writing a summary here I'll be very happy. The outcome was effectively "not worth it".

Offline PaulJ

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
Ade.

We experienced what you call induced steering on Cool Beans early on. Cool Beans was designed to allow a bigger range of t-foil adjustment than Ronin as it was an area that I felt we could exploit further. Ie carry more weight in the t-foil.

What we found was that on maximum t-foil the helm started to snatch from side to side causing the boat to steer all over the place. What was happening was the centre of effort of the rudder was in fact in front of the rudder pin rather than behind. We solved the problem in two ways. First we used the course system first which moves the articulation plate and stock together, then used the clicker system to fine tune. The other thing we did was cut 150mm off the rudder which effectively moves the centre if effort back.
Events Secretary
3214 - Cool Beans