Author Topic: "T" foil positioning on the rudder blade  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Ed

• Former_Member
  • Newb
"T" foil positioning on the rudder blade
« on: March 16, 2013, 05:25:45 PM »
Good afternoon,

I was wondering what considerations might influence the location of the horizontal foil on the rudder blade.

There seem to be several cherubs running the foil as an inverted T but i dont understand the pro's and con's for moving it up or down the rudder blade. 14s tend to have them mounted closer to the surface, but i dont know the reasoning.

A separate conversation is around where it is mounted in the horizontal axis on the rudder. leading edge, infront of the rudder, mid rudder or trailing edge. I can see the further forward it is the great the reduction in moment around the rudder stock pivot for changing the angle of attack.

Thanks,

Ed

Offline Tim Noyce

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
Re: "T" foil positioning on the rudder blade
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
Hi Ed,

There is a very indepth and informative article which Kevin Elway wrote for the class members comparing the benefits of the position of the t-foil on the rudder and also discussing the differences the t-foil makes in the Cherub and the I14. It is available in the members area on the main website along with some other technical information. I am sure that if you joined the class as an associate member then you would have access to all these other resources.  :D

(Sorry, not trying to be a kill joy and I am sure that people will be able to give you the answer on the forum, but there is some really great technical information but I can't really just send it to you without you being a member!)

Offline Ed

• Former_Member
  • Newb
Re: "T" foil positioning on the rudder blade
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »
Hi Tim,

I was thinking about that anyway, i was hoping i might come to the sticky weekend next year as an associate so i can learn.
Well worth the fee for the information that is available even on the public forum.

Latest member should be official soon.

Thanks,

Ed
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:30:47 PM by Breaders »