Author Topic: Topper Sailing  (Read 5400 times)

ChewTopper

Topper Sailing
« on: December 23, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
Topper Sailing is Da Best!  :D

Offline MK

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
Re: Topper Sailing
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
It appears your sailing life up to now has been very blinkered, this is a great shame, but by joining this forum you have taken your first step into a larger world

I suggest you ask a chew cherrubist very nicely to go and broaden your horizon

Offline Andrew Whapshott

• Class member
  • Apprentice Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »
+1.   And then put your topper up for sale :D

roland_trim

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:48:19 AM »
Ahh - Welcome ChewTopper thanks for saying hello.
Now I have some contact details we are happy to lend you Born Slippy and then Shiny/another twin stringer.
You can make your own decision on the sanity of the people on this forum once you've had a go.

The video from the downwind leg is uploading here:

http://youtu.be/xSohdRgTY9M

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »
Dear ChewTopper,

If you are dead set for Toppers the way forward might be my Topaz Tres which is an excellent training boat for sailing a Cherub and available with trolley, trailer and Duo rig for a mere £1600.

Of course you could buy a '97 Rules Cherub for half that which would also make mincemeat of RS 400s like the '05 Rules in the video  :)

(has Subtle Knife changed hands?)
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

roland_trim

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
Subtle is in the steady hands of Rich and Tom Hole.
Tom crewed Marmite at the nationals - Rich is his new crew (and dad).

Offline ade white

• Former_Member
  • Guru's Assistant
  • no work team
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
"Topper sailing is da best" but only in gale force winds, when nothing else is able to sail. I remember being in one at Menorca sailing when it was blowing the 'crabs out the sand' and I took out few guys using toppers. We had the best fun in winds exceeded being sensible! Force 8 was mentioned at the time whether it was, who knows??? Nice to know you have the opportunity to try out the sublime CHERUB. I hope you do. Even the older ones are great fun to sail and were so far ahead of their time and the experience from sailing them wil be memorable. Go for it!
'Sponsor' of "DUCKS"

Offline Torchy

• Class treasurer
  • Former_Member
  • Guru's Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
Subtle is in the steady hands of Rich and Tom Hole.

Excellent
Previously 2685 'Loco Perro' and 2345 'Tachyon'

Offline ross_burkin

• Guru's Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 12:54:25 AM »
Dear ChewTopper,

If you are dead set for Toppers the way forward might be my Topaz Tres which is an excellent training boat for sailing a Cherub and available with trolley, trailer and Duo rig for a mere £1600.

Of course you could buy a '97 Rules Cherub for half that which would also make mincemeat of RS 400s like the '05 Rules in the video  :)

(has Subtle Knife changed hands?)

Yes to 97 rules, or even a 91.

But please, please, please do not waste your time, money or energy on the topaz tres! If anything, this bathtub will totally dull any of the required ability needed to sail. Let alone train you for a Cherub.

Toppers a great in big swell and big breeze. I have good memories of surfing down big waves with the constant fear of death rolling at big open meetings!

I can thoroughly recommend a Laser 3000 (an early cherub decedent) as a trainer for you first Cherub. But you could just get a Cherub.
2675 Fuzzy Logic  97/05 rules

Serious plannage in the works...

Offline deefender1098

• Alex Harris
  • Committee
  • Wanabe Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
ill +1 that as ive also done toppers, 3000s and now the cherub, cant complain with any of them 3000s are a fair bit more stable than a cherub making it easy to get to grips with the trapeze/ asymetric work so if youre not feeling butterflies about what all these ropes do then that would be a worthwhile shout!! having had a go on a topaz tres they are more awkward to trapeze off and dont perform anything like the other boats that have been mentioned here so id advise against but in my book all sailng is good so you cant go too many miles wrong, its just a matter of which makes you smile the most